Saw this the other day while driving by a big dirt moving project. Picture is hard to see, but this fairly new J.D. 850 is literally sitting on the ground. Just before the rains last week, 2 mechanics took the ENTIRE undercarriage out from under this machine. It is sitting on the belly pans, with the blade and ripper keeping it from falling over. The sideframes and all other crawler parts are laying around the machine. What type of repair would require taking every single piece of undercarriage off of this dozer? The drive "axles" are the only thing left and they did wrap that in plastic on each side. how would you like to put this back together, now that 6" or rain have turned this site into a mudhole?
Lol, I saw that too! I don't like working on one in the field and that is an awful spot!
Awful right now, and worse after the rain we are supposed to get tomorrow. I can not figure out why in the heck they tore it down right there, instead of moving it 100' over to the old, abandoned, paved parking lot on the same site. Or, taking it to their shop.
Stop and ask them? Curious minds want to know. Maybe it could not be moved due to some lock up condition.
If I ever see anyone there working on it, I may just stop. It has been sitting like that for over 2 weeks now.
They may very well be replacing undercarriage . That's how field mechanics work Bro ! Equipment breaks down on job site .......... Field wrench shows up & puts it back together . Damn the bad weather ! School bus driver mowingman ? Part of life in the business . Just go on & deal with it HeavyEquipmentForums
That little Banger would be just another day in my life, I would be happy to screw it back together rain wind or frost on my own, its just about what you are used to putting up with, the hard ground might have not been permitted as a work area? tctractors
True, but I still would have found a way to get it over onto the old parking lot 100 feet away....
My hat is off to ya mowingman :salute . It's all I can do dealing with my own kids let alone a bus load of them .
Interesting post and picture Mowing man! Care to hear me speculate? What i see here is an argument. A mechanic who has been butting heads with an illogical boss for awhile. Do it my way and do it now. Disassemble it Now where it's at! .Mechanic under his breath. ....ok but i won't be here for assembly. ....as the fully expected weather begins to move in.
I think the engine or tranny took a dump and they yanked the undercart off complete to put on a twin machine rather than buy new undercarriage for it. Eventually they'll reassemble everything and send it to the auction. It's what all my former bosses would have done, lol.
Both seem like good scenarios. I am really interested in seeing how long this dozer sits here. To me, that would be a big investment to leave sitting torn down, and not earning money. The owner however, is one of the biggest dirt contractors in this area, so I guess it is only a minor problem for them.
One very real danger is that anything four men can lift might disappear for scrap! Bad idea leaving anything lay overnight, much less longer, lol