So my boss had me go to a new jobsite to run a haul truck for a few day and then that turned into a week now it looks like I'm running it until further notice because they dont need anymore dozer ops on that site just wondering how long should I stay with the company if they aren't going to put me back in the seat of the dozer or how do I tell my boss either put me in a dozer or I'm leaving
if you are working right now don't complain , if you have other options then pursue them
Maybe your boss doesn't know that you're a better dozer operator than the rest of his guys.... me personally I like to get as much cross training as possible in any equipment.
If its the same pay, with the way things are going to be for a while, I don't think I'd say anything, and just be glad to have a job. Or, you can tell him to put you into a dozer or you are leaving, and if you're my employee, you're probably leaving....
this day in age, and you're complaining about not getting to operate what you want? don't you know that kids are starving in Japan?
Do you have a contract that specifically says you'll only run dozers? When I used to work in shop the general rule was that nobody was over qualified to sweep the floor and clean up. Millions are out of work, be glad you still can work. I'm with Crane Op, if I was the boss I'd show you the door.
you are lucky your employer was prepared to re-deploy you . I would be making myself very useful currently , in a couple of months it will be a very different world .
Hmmm.. Too good for a rock truck? You are damned lucky to be working. With an attitude like yours, I'd send you walking..
There is in the mining industry some sort of mindset (particularly in truck drivers) that being anything else except a haulage operator is better. It results in a clamor every time jobs come up for bid. Most of the haulage staff is killing themselves to get out of the trucks in to a support machine or shovel. A good haulage operator is few and far between. There are a lot of people that think they can do it and they can to a point. They can run the truck safely and get back to the berm and square up enough to dump it. I was blessed with 5 real live professional haul truck operators who loved the job and excelled at it. When I was not at the dump face I would wait until one of those people showed up on the dump and I could say "Aaron start me a new one and he would with out error start a new set in exactly the right spot with out benefit of chasing other peoples tracks. Then the rest could chase his tracks to the berm. Any of those 5 or 6 could blow out a spread that was the best you could expect out of a 793. Aaron passed away recently and hopefully the dump operator in that pit has the skilled bit of staff I had. They made my job easier by knowing what I was doing and learning how I did it. Long live the professional haul truck driver!
I watched boss's for many years switch employees around on different machines for the simple reason he knew their capabilities. If you were marginal at what you were running you were going to be the first one to get "demoted", after that came a layoff. Be content that you still have a job dozerman, you may not be as good on a dozer as you think you are. Or you may be good on one but your attitude sucks. I saw hundreds of operators go through what you are now. The real measure of how good you are in the eyes of a boss is if you are the first or last to get called back to work after a layoff.
You're a more versatile employee when you can do what ever needs to be done. Someone gets sick you can fill in, something unexpected comes up and you can hop in a different machine to get it done.
Very true Dave, Most idiots referred to employees that were top notch operators, company suck a##es. They just didn't understand why they were last to get hired and the first to get laid off.
Some places have rules that can be stupid. Simple Hyd. hose blows but instead of operator fixing it and getting back to work, a mechanic has to be called out to fix it and takes twice as long.
In the good ole days.... you know when people/operators actually knew something other than how to turn the key on the dozer people had some common sense and knew how to change a line... maybe even properly... without injuring themselves or others or the equipment... but these days I don't think I'd trust an operator to change the lines to a steering cylinder let alone a boom or something like that
I'm a fine grade grader operator, and I still rake and shovel asphalt. Summer before last, I luted 61 metric tonne by hand one hot day, while 6 guys with shovels slopped it around then stood and watched me. A few of them laughed at me sweating my arse off. I just said it's just a smaller grader, and I'm still making the same money. Work is work, and most companies can't or won't pay you to sit around if there is no work for your skillset.
My boss knows I will do ANY job he gives me. I am often put in the worst positions because they count on me to do it without complaints. Makes their job easier because they can get down to business and not waste time with the 'whiners'. Things have been tight for our company for a while now. The present world is not making it any better. I was told I would get laid off last October, but was keep working. Others, not so lucky. Was told two weeks ago about a 'maybe' layoff, still working. I told the boss that if he needs to lay me off and keep the younger ones with family and payments working, I would be OK. Still working. If the management can put you in any job, you will be hard to replace. They know that, even if they may not say it. I'm there for the paycheck, not an ego trip.
Go ahead and leave. There's always someone ready to replace you. You are nothing special!
Welcome to the Forums Dozerman521! I agree with the others - just be glad you are working. Two weeks ago my inbox was filled with bid invitations, today it's empty.... We are very, very fortunate to have landed a large public job that already has funding in place or I would be nervous as a whore in church right now. Who knows what the next 6 months to 1 year will look like for the construction industry. Will private owners go forward with projects or table them? Will public entities see a funding cut due to a drastic drop in tax revenue due to CV19 and post pone projects?
It's simple. Who's name is on the paycheck. if it's your company then pick and choose the jobs that you want. Since it isn't your company then do what they ask. Put your ego aside and look at from their perspective. It took me most of my career to be a can do employee. Do I always like what is asked of me? The short answer is hell no. Do I complain? You bet I do. But I complain to myself and my God and get to work. If your employer knows that he can count on you when circumstances change then you will get the work and hours. If he can't depend on you then when the dozer breaks down or when there isn't any dozer work then you get sent home. With a attitude like that he is probably making you uncomfortable on purpose and trying to get you mad enough to quit. Don't be so arrogant and think that you can't be replaced because you are good at what you do. I have to keep that in check every day because I am good at what I do and I have been replaced because of my poor attitude. The ball is in your court do what you think is best for your family.
The OP hasn't been back to get any of this good advice. Sadly, Some people just have to learn the hard way!
No doubt, I'm thankful to be working for the time being. My company started layoffs last week, office and field hands alike. One of the guys I work a rotation with got laid off yesterday. I'm sure I'm on the list too, I just haven't got the call yet. We've lost a lot of work in a very short period of time. Something like 60% of our work is shut down in a matter of 14 days or so.
sometimes there is a reason for getting moved to a different piece of equipment, employees have to make the company money or they are no good to have around.Most employees dont understand how much money it takes to keep things rolling,If you got moved its a good bet that you are needed there more than on the dozer. I would suggest staying, keeping quiet and be glad you have a job. You never know you could be back on the machine you want to run pretty quick. Hate to see anyone lose a job because of attitude, a well rounded operator that can and will run different machines is alot better to have on the jobsite.
I was hired as a water truck driver. Then they found out that I could run a 834, 651, push cat, excavator and on and on... Being the new guy, I have kept to myself and let my performance speak for me. The owner soon learned that I can and do run circles around todays new class of operator. I show up early, I stay late, I stay off of my phone and I get the job done. You see, I didnt come here to make friends, I came here to make money. It makes absolutely no difference to me who I **** off, whos toes I step on or whose feelings I hurt. Bottom line is the boss knows he can depend on me and I will get the job done. It's called survival of the fittest . Call it what you want, Im still working along with a handful of others while the rest sit home at home waiting for this virus to pass. You want to work, do as you are told, do it well and put the damned phone away!
Well said that man...!! MOD EDIT - This isn't Facebook keep the memes clean. CM1995
I dont think he got the answers he was looking for guys. LOL
It appears as though he hasn't been back online since starting the thread.
Be a man. Face to face... and look him in the eye. Then after he sends you walking, shake his hand and thank him for the opportunity . last thing you want to do is burn any bridges. I doubt he will ever get the answer he was looking for.
Damn...you're fast.
Hmmm I might be doing this wrong and possibly have been for the past forty years. I come in early and stay late. I have been in the same place for the past five years. I am still working after taking a week off while the company developed their safety protocols for Covid 19. I like the people I work with from the guy who owns the place to guys on the job. pictured are (35) 5000-23 MSHA Certs of training on individual machines. The one on the top is for a 793. Trucks happen. I am going to drive one Monday for an hour or two while I snag some hot mix. It all pays the same. I had no idea however that being an operator somehow elevated me to the coolest, I could give a rats *** about anybody status. Been doing it wrong for four decades. Just doing my job as well as possible and providing the dollar value for what I do. Oddly enough I somehow manage to stay employed, white hair and all. I am going to go in on Monday and treat everyone like garbage because I am by craft the best there is on the job. Pretty sure... I would replaced by about noon or beat with a shovel! Stay off the phone unless the company is calling. Drive the truck and enjoy the day.
That is impressive. Looks like a great company to work for. Yes....you are a lucky man.
LOL ;0)
That would be the best promotion I could get... probably going to have to suffer through with the original equipment though.
My son in law works for a civil engineering firm when he started I told him do what ever they ask you to do . He took that advise he worked nights on all night pours he worked in the field checking compaction he cut survivor trails. He does CAD drawings and lays out jobs. The last recession they laid off a bunch of people that was there longer than him. He never got laid off. He as been with the Company 10 years and in July will become part owner as the original owners are retiring. I told him that your job is to make your company money. People don't understand this now days
I think the OP has been here. He probably didn't log in.
Or they are sitting back laughing at the commnts and at what they started.
LOL............ditto.