Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dozer winch work on grapple truck?

vandiesel99 ยท 2010-03-22 22:55

I am looking at buying an Allis Chalmers D6 Dozer with a logging winch on it. Haven't seen the unit, it is about 2.5 hours away. The guy only wants $2000 for the whole dozier, so I figured I could scrap everything but the winch and maybe the hydraulic cylinders and possibly come out pretty good. I'm just curious if this type of winch would work on my grapple log truck. The truck has a pto driven hydraulic pump that operates the grapple boom. I am not sure of the flow output of the pump and am not sure of the required specs on the dozer winch. Thought maybe someone here who knew more about it could shed some light on the situation. Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1maytag2010-03-23 20:46

    I see no reason why you can't adapt to the log truck. I would look at the pressure/flow capacity the AC had (surely somebody has an old shop model) and try and duplicate. Tom

  2. #2John C.2010-03-23 21:35

    I don't know what kind of winch you are talking about but most of those are gear driven. Basically there is a shaft through the center of the transmission that drives the winch and a hydraulic pump only operates the clutch and brake. There are hydraulic driven winches but they were probably only in use for the past 10 or 15 years or so.

  3. #3vandiesel992010-03-23 23:33

    Dozer Hdraulic Capacity Anyone here know what the typical hydraulic flow/capacity of an older AC dozer pump is? Curious if it takes a huge amount of flow to run the winch, or if I can run it with a smaller hydraulic flow and it would just be slow. It would have to still be workable. Suggestions?

  4. #4vandiesel992010-03-24 21:36

    Yea, I haven't actually seen the dozer in person, and the guy who has it acts like he doesn't know anything about it including the year. But it is definitely older than 15 years. Ah well, I guess I will keep on looking.