HI. I have 2009 FL w Cummins ISB 6.7 and 454000km (280k Miles) I bought used couple months ago, off a company with questionable maintenance program. One Mechanic hooked truck to computer and said DPF filter is getting close to needing cleaning. (approx. $275) I Talked to another Mechanic, he recommending a ReManufactured filter $1200, thinks I could be wasting money on cleaning as I would have to replace filter down road anyways. I am a local only contractor and don't put many km on in a year (my pickup only has 150000 after 7 years) But I found My Freightliner wants the water Temp to be hot before it will run properly, so needs to idle up to temp before driving. Any comments or opinions on cleaning or replacing?
All they do when they clean it is blow compressed air through it in a reversed flow direction. In a expensive machine. My trucker people DIY all the time.
I'd clean it a time or two myself and see how it goes b4 I bought new but that's me.
Ok. Thxz guys.
I was under the impression that the particulate that accumulates in these filters is deemed a hazardous waste, and is suppose to be disposed of accordingly. Or have I been mislead?
The ASH in a DPF is full of stuff that will legitimately give you cancer. Everything thats in diesel fuel in the parts per billion range gets concentrated in the DPF after you burn a couple thousand gallons of fuel through it. I'm the last one to cry fowl but its something to remember.
Well pulled dpf Friday at 5:30 pm...when will I learn, nothing goes well in repairs at 530 on Friday Def is cracked! Ether age or impact...no Re-manufactured available from Cummins! Any other suggestions?
Time to throw the whole thing away and buy a new one! That is what they want after all. Honestly if you are going to shell out coin for a new emission part p.o.s. I would rather spend that same coin towards a emission delete kit.
Will a dpf delete system pass emissions. ..i can find dealer for doing this but not in ontario? ?
Not to throw more pain on an old sore, is it possible to repair the truck and then sell so as to buy one with a different emission system? We have read articles that hinted and as well been discussing with mechanics "the 07-08-09 engines as a group that have been technologically replaced", said group not a huge volume due to the economy trucks didnt mfg that many, and the likelihood these will remain less desired from an emission aspect since they aren't nox reduced... I ask this question since we need/want a new truck and the prices on these are somewhat obtainable but when moving in the 10 and up group, too new.
Oceanbob, I heard reverse. Newer than 09 is nightmare...yes few year older would have been better, but all I found was rusted junk. Not much available up around here medium duty single axel. I think a little bit of maintenence would have gone long way. Ie in cab regeneration and simply cleaning filter, cat converter and egr valve. I hopefully will find a re-manufactured one for less than $1500 & then keep up with maintenance.
look on the net, there is a company that specialize in the DPF delete kits for the cummins, they send you a ECM reprogrammed & all the stuff to remove it. is it on a vocational truck?? I don't know the rules in Canada so you will have to check with them to see if its ok to do it there..
Yes vocational truck. So all local short runs. On my third google search, I found the answer out dpf delete...not good idea in Ontario. http://www.trucknews.com/regulation...ad-tampering-of-emissions-systems/1002145949/ Old article, but make sense. My truck is 6 yrs old and 280 k miles/460k km and poorly. But price was within my budget...tell you in a couple yrs if it was the right price/purchase Current plan is to replace dpf with a remanufactured one... going to have wait couple weeks as other bills piled up and work/phone has slowed down