Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dr.ZX communication issue

Jason Klassen ยท 2021-11-30 23:30

Hi all, I have a Hitachi ex120-2 that I just started having problems trying to connect my Dr.Zx scanner to. Dr.Zx is on a Palm Pilot Tungsten and was connecting just fine until I got the PVC replaced under warranty. After installing the new PVC I connected like usual and went through the steps. After pushing the "Start" button it trys to connect and then says to check the cable/power. I do that and then retry and it says "machine model not identified". If I put in the old PVC it will connect like normal. I have been told that I was given the correct PVC for my machine and that it was tested before being sent out. The excavator does run with the new PVC but I would really like to be able to see the live data to make sure everything is working right. Hopefully somebody knows what's going on here?

Replies11
  1. #1mg23612021-12-01 05:16

    With the new PVC, try turning your rpm dial to half throttle and then try to connect. Does it connect? If you unplug a sensor, short the the diagnostic connector terminals 1 and 3 together, does it then flash a code? Also compare voltages from the old PVC to the new PVC at the diagnostic connector. Are they the same?

  2. #2Jason Klassen2021-12-04 21:17

    Ok, my machine has the buttons for throttle control so I used the arrow buttons to put the throttle somewhere between L and E. I figured that was about half throttle. I was not able to connect. I unplugged the pressure sensor on the pump and then bridged terminals 1 and 3. The PVC started blinking and the code was 28 which I looked up in the manual and it was correct. I compared voltages at the plug for both PVCs and this is what I got. ( diagram is looking at the connector) new PVC 0.11V | 0.05V ---------------- 0.05V | 5.04V old PVC 0.13V | 0.07V ---------------- 0.07V | 5.05V While I had the old PVC plugged in I tried to connect and it connected first try. I have attached some pictures of the messages I get on the scan tool. One of them shows what happens when I get the error and the other two show what I get with the old PVC right before it goes to the diagnostic screen.

  3. #3mg23612021-12-05 05:12

    From what I see it should connect. Sorry, I don't have an answer. Maybe @LACHAU has an answer??

  4. #4Jason Klassen2021-12-06 22:42

    Yah, its really strange. I am thinking now that the palm pilot has some kind of glitch. The people who sold me the new PVC said to try resetting it. There is a reset button on the back. Pressing it does a "soft" reset. I have tried it and it did not help. The other option is to do a "hard' reset which requires holding the reset button and the power button at the same time. I downloaded the user manual for the palm pilot so I will look up the complete "hard" reset procedure and try it. The Dr.Zx program would not be machine specific would it? I mean once its used with one computer it would not tie itself to that computer and now it thinks that I am trying to use it on another machine. Sort of like software licenses that only allow you to install a program on one computer.

  5. #5mg23612021-12-07 04:20

    Nope.

  6. #6LACHAU2021-12-07 06:54

    Thank you for your belief, my friend. I'm sure that your new PVC is a clone controller!!! It's not a genuine part!!! The genuine PVC control box will have an identification code (ID code) segment in its program so that the PVC knows which model the PVC is for.

  7. #7Jason Klassen2021-12-13 19:36

    Wow! So is there anyway to fix that? I don't think it will go to well if I were to accuse Friday Parts of sending me a knock off PVC. I am going to try and get the old one fixed. At least this one does work but the palm pilot can only talk to the old one. For anyone wondering, I did try the "hard" reset on the palm pilot. It did not fix communication problem. Also make sure that you have palm desktop installed on your computer and have completed a "hotsync". The "hard" reset wipes all the data and programs off the palm pilot and you will need to perform the hotsync after the reset to get Dr.ZX and any of your other programs back onto the palm pilot.

  8. #8LACHAU2021-12-15 23:20

    We had a similar situation to yours! Just waiting for luck! You can try it with all other models. Example EX120-3; EX120-5 or even EX220-2 etc. In the past, it was funny that we happened to be able to connect to the EX200-2 when setting the model to EX300-5!!!

  9. #9Jason Klassen2022-03-31 00:25

    Hey Lachau, sorry for the delayed reply. How would I go about trying the different models? When I open Dz.ZX the first screen asks me to "select kind". I normally choose "EPVC_Mid" because my machine is a 120. On the next screen I select "start" and then it normally just connects after that. I don't understand where I can input and try different models. I have attached a couple pics of the screens I am presented with.

  10. #10LACHAU2022-04-05 11:52

    Your PALM is Dr.ZX type. It automatically recognizes your device model.

  11. #11Jason Klassen2022-04-05 19:49

    Ok, that makes sense why I could not find a place to try the different models. Thanks for the instruction manual. What program do you use that allows you to input and try different models? Would I be able to install it on my PALM? I have the hotsync software so I can move programs between my computer and the PALM.