Hey guys, we picked up a Mustang MTL16 (TL130) recently and while going through the owners manual I noticed that they recommend you drain the fuel tank every 50 hours. I'm guessing this is due to condensation? Is this really necessary? The fuel gauge on our machine isn't accurate and I'd rather not waste several gallons of diesel every 50 hours.... The machine is for our family's own personal use and we will be putting around 20 hours per month on it... Thanks for the help.
don't drain the whole tank, just enough to get the sediment and water out.
Yep, at some point, all folks who never drain the water/dregs from their tank wish they would have.
Drained about a quart of water and sludge from a 120 hitachi yesterday. It had been sitting for a long time. I think the tank acts like a still and sweats the moisure from the air. The ball valve didn't want to drain. I've found it's easiest to stick the straw on a can of brake cleaner up the hole and give it a short blast to clear the junk. Hmm, that's a strait line is I ever saw one...
any time you have fog in the air you need to think about condesation in the tank. If it warm out days and nights or below freezeing all the time condesation isnt a big issue. I would suggest doing it at least once a summer in the late fall when its above freezeing still.
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. Will definitely make sure we do that. Just spent nearly $500 on filters and oil today, getting ready for a weekend of cleaning and maintenance! I'm excited to dig in! Thanks again.
I have a Bobcat 873 and it is just farm use. I put on about 300 hours per year and do the filters annually even if it's not time. Along with that, I do drain the water and sludge from the tank. I don't get much out and maybe that is due to living in the desert and the lack of humidity. I would imagine where you live would determine how often you do the drain.
Water was bad enough with the rotary and inline injection pumps but the new tier 3 and 4 common rail it's damn expensive. With injectors starting around the $1000-$1500 mark it doesn't take much water in a system to cause major damage.
plus its often overlooked how important fuel lubricant is, todays fuels are so dry they tear up the high pressure fuel pumps if they see water or a lot of particles. Bio fuels are a great lube , standardine fuel system additive or just plain old two stroke injector oil added to diesel will add a lot of life to a fuel system!
thanks for the suggestion xcmark i have been having problems in my inj.