Hi folks, I have a Dresser 100G tracked loader (apparently there is a more common 100G that's much larger, this is a rebadged Massey Ferguson 2244). The track bushings are worn completely through, although surprisingly the sprockets still look decent. It would be easy to convince me that someone swapped worn tracks onto the machine since the rest of it is in such great shape. I am in touch with Dresser (Dressta?) as well as some other folks trying to get a lead on pins and bushings, but so far it doesn't look promising. I have a hobby CNC shop, and I will cut my own if push comes to shove, but I'd rather not go that route. Does anyone have a lead on component substitutions for this, or information on the stock dimensions of the pins/bushings? Any help is greatly appreciated. (P.S. I _suspect_ that my steering clutches aren't disengaging properly. I will attempt to adjust them before jumping to the conclusion that they are seized. If anyone has info on adjustment or exploded views of the assembly that would be greatly appreciated. I have manuals on the way, but who knows when they'll get here?)
MF2244 were a 140mm pitch. Berco 1351 IIRC.Made in the 1960s. Would 100 series Dresser be the same pitch as TD6.? Try steeringclutch.com for drawings & steer parts.
Jim, thank you for your input! I saw that you disassembled several of these a few years back. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Unfortunately I'm away from the machine for the next couple days, when I get back I'll measure the chain pitch and see if it's close to 140mm. Is there a chance that the chain type would be stamped on the links? I have no clue about the cross-compatibility between the 100 series and the TD6 unfortunately.
Now that's interesting! On the following diagram: http://www.tractorparts.com/PDFs/steeringclutch_MF2244_PARTS_wm.pdf It looks like there are no steering brakes! I have a clutch pedal on the left foot, a brake pedal on right, and two steering levers... On most crawlers I've worked on there is a clutch to disengage the drive, then a brake band. On old machines these were operated by separate levers, often on "newer" machines these were driven off the same lever at two different stages (pull a little, clutch disengages; pull more, the brake gets applied). Part number 13 in the above diagram is what I would expect the brake "pad" to ride on, but I don't see any part of the steering mechanism to actuate the brake. I must be missing something here...
ITR have those chains, same pitch as Rayco c140. There are 2 different bolt patterns for the grousers. 1 is parallel or looks square, the other is tappered. You'll have to measure the width and length.
The 100 series machines might have the same chain as a TD6 or TD7. Maybe 154mm pitch ,from memory .. I think the old 125 had a similar steering system as you described. The old MF2244 had a Fiat chain . You had to pull the finals off to get to the steering brakes/clutches.(Like a 350 Deere) I don't see a connection between 1960s ** & Dressers...??
Tones, thank you for the recommendation! After your message I reached out to ITR to see if they can provide any assistance. Jim, I'm anxious now to get a measurement of the chain pitch. Kicking myself that I didn't think to measure that before I left. As for the connection between the brands, it seems to be a real oddball. The rear fairing (kind of a trapezoidal shape particular to the 2244) has a Dresser decal with a blue/white band with "100G" in white lettering. There is also a black "Dresser" lettering on the cowl. It's equipped with a Drott Skid-Shovel loader which has a Massey serial number (MF201), and has a plate on the transmission that's buried under the covers: CRAWLER-TRACTOR-MF2244 MASSEY-FERGUSON-ITALIAN-OPERATION-UNIT REGGIO EMILIA Engine No 2351148 Type AD3 152 Chassis No 7021113 Type TL201/BR Year of Manufacture (blank) Until I saw this unit I thought that Dresser only bought International (I own a Dresser TD-8G dozer as well). Maybe Dresser bought out the old dies from Massey to manufacture the 2244s at a later date? The paint on this thing looks like it was built yesterday.
Seems like someone may have put Dresser labeling on it, possibly because they know ** aren't the easiest to get parts for. MF2244 is older and the newer model is the MF200. Have never heard of ** making crawler machines for other brands, especially their direct competition.
I'd be hard pressed to see this as a relabeled machine... Unless they sandblasted it, there's no new paint on old paint, no covered up decals in the places Massey would have put them... Like I said, it would have to be sandblasted back to bare metal to pull that off. I'm back at the site and I got to look at the chain pitch. I measured 146mm. 6mm would be a pretty aggressive stretch (from Jim's 140mm suggestion), but these are very worn.
A few pictures will tell the story. Including Operator station,levers,etc...
It may have been sandblasted. A bad paint job can be just as bad for lowering value as a cover up (problems) paint job. The fact it was labelled the same as a totally different 100G is also very suspect. ** was in good shape when the 2244 was produced and I believe IH was as well. ** got into crawlers when they bought Landini. It doesn't make sense Dresser would buy the rights to 1960's technology when the MF200 machines were improved versions.
The DROTT loader assembly might have caused the confusion between IH & ** with the OPs machine. There were at least 2 types of Loader frame used on the 2244 & 200s. There was also a 244,but I never worked out the separation between 244 & 2244....wonder if it was gas engine? The MF200 went to a D model,I think. They were a bit different than earlier versions.Different transmission & appearance. The 3-152 Perkins engine was used widely through these machines.The subject machine will have a 140mm pitch chain.Berco & ITM made them (ITM 440 ,iirc)
The 244 started in 1963 and early models had the A3-152 diesel (indirect injection) before the AD3-152 direct injection. Production moved to Brazil and it was made at least until 1970. The 2244 has a much more refined and modern loader boom. Interestingly it says it has an instant reverse trans. through a torque converter and 4 speed transmission where the 2244 has a manual shuttle trans. ** must have had a licensing deal to use Drott 4 in 1 buckets. The MF200 did go up to a D model but uses a different type loader boom than the 200, 200B and 200C models. It is similar to the 244 style boom. The MF200D might have been more for the European market as the specs. are from an Italian brochure.
By the way, I got the foot plate up and found the adjustment. Advanced the clutches a tad, backed off the brakes and she's driving great now.
I would bet dollars to donuts the Dresser labels are bogus. It's an MF2244. Usually if a machine is made for more than 1 brand it will also have a different name plate to match the model. The loader boom is made by Drott which is the reason for the different name plate. Possibly the owner thought it could be a Dresser because of the similar loader boom style. I more suspect the Dresser labels were more readily available. Just noticed the fuel priming label is for an IH and not for a Perkins.
No offense, but I'm really not concerned about the history of the machine; I'd consider the label on the outside to be semantics (part of the reason for titling this thread with "Massey 2244"). We can call it pink elephant for all I care. What I've been telling parts distributors is that it's a MF2244 and that's gotten good results, that's what I plan to keep doing. The problem I'm facing is finding undercarriage parts. I can make them, but I'd rather not if I can buy them. Before we get too far off topic, any ideas where I might look for undercarriage parts?
I was just trying to help determine exactly what you have. You seemed convinced it was an IH. You have some possible links to undercarriage in post above from JiminOz.
Each link may have a part number at the top....wire brush,water & a magnifying glass will help. Those Berco & ITM chains were easy to get from European suppliers. Fiat also used them (FL5 maybe?) .Landini crawlers might have used them too.