Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dresser 540 loosing eng oil pressure

NY4533 ยท 2020-10-13 21:09

I have a mid 80s 540 that has about 21k frame hours and 7k engine hours that looses oil pressure after a few minutes of running, looking to get some input on rebuilding or just replacing the engine. I think an overhaul would be more practical, but would like some input on this, thanks to anyone reading.

Replies14
  1. #1mitch5042020-10-13 21:42

    What engine is in it? How much blowby? How much oil consumption?

  2. #2NY45332020-10-14 06:15

    I recently purchased the machine(with a bad transmission) just had the transmission overhauled, upon testing the new transmission is when the mechanic found the engine issue, it smoked pretty decent and you can see a good amount of vapor coming out under the machine via the crankcase breather. i have a video of it running on my cell phone, ill see if i can get it uploaded somehow

  3. #3Vetech632020-10-14 07:51

    If you can get the specs a stall test on the engine will tell you alot.

  4. #4Dave Neubert2020-10-14 08:21

    If you have no oil pressure you might as well put it out and build it no simple fixes here

  5. #5NY45332020-10-15 06:29

    Thanks for the replies everyone. I know this wont be a simple repair, just trying to figure out if a replacement engine is my best option or an overhaul on this current one. The later of the two is obviously best but its also a lot more costly, ill update with progress!

  6. #6DMiller2020-10-15 06:39

    Replacement may be scarce as Hen's teeth, rebuild is always a alternative. As to failed trans what failed? Did converter get slammed or over pressured, could have wiped a thrust bearing.

  7. #7mitch5042020-10-15 09:09

    What engine is in it? If you had no blowby and no oil consumption, it could be as simple as dropping the pan and rolling bearings in, or changing the oil pump.

  8. #8NY45332020-10-15 14:45

    Dmiller- The shop that did the transmission showed me a housing that had what looked like a hub starting to wear through a case, this was machined to correct. also did clutches and seals, outside of that and new oil, I'm not sure what he did but the torque converter was not removed. Mitch- I'm sure it will need at least bearings, sleeves and pistons, likely. I checked the turbo, that also has fins broken so that can be added to the shopping list.

  9. #9DMiller2020-10-15 17:20

    Alright then just time for the old Corn Binder to take a siesta!! Engine with blowby and low oil pressure will need to come down.

  10. #10NY45332020-10-21 16:42

    Is anyone familiar with this warning light? Just came on today

  11. #11DMiller2020-10-21 16:55

    IIRC is a Service Alert warning, may go hand in hand with the Low Oil Pressure.

  12. #12Vetech632020-10-22 16:59

    I believe that is the "I'de rather be fishing" light.

  13. #13DB22020-10-22 22:35

    Parking brake engaged warning light ?

  14. #14mitch5042020-10-22 22:49

    Close, it's actually the "stop now and go fishing so you won't be the one on it when it breaks!" light. Actually I do think it is the parking brake.