Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser Dozer Question

stretch ยท 2009-04-17 18:41

I took a look at one of our contractor's dozers today, a 1989 Dresser TD-7G. I loked at the builder's plate and it said it was made in Korea for Dresser Mining & Construction Equipment by Hyundai Heavy Industries. Can anyone tell me about this arrangement Dresser had with Hyundai, such as how long it lasted and what dozers were produced under this license?

Replies2
  1. #1hardtail2009-04-26 03:49

    May well have been???? Once IH sold off the construction side to Komatsu which this era machine may have been, and finally recent years Dressta which is Polish, It should have been Cummins powered I believe but the rest could have been manufactured in Asia, still might be under all of todays money cutting manufacturing practices????? I think the 7&8's were regarded as a good machine by many of their users, they seemed to be a popular model for them and must have found some small popularity with that size machine owner........

  2. #2John C.2009-04-26 13:52

    They were manufactured in Korea for a time. Not a lot of problems with those units. I don't believe this was done under license. As I recall Dresser contracted the manufacturing to Hyundai. Dresser was a giant producer and supplier of oil field supplies and probably shouldn't have gotten into the heavy equipment manufacturing at all. Dresser and Komatsu formed a joint partnership in the late eighties or early ninties and a year later Komatsu bought out the brand completely. Manufacturing was then shifted to Poland. The first Poland machines had multiple problems with undercarriage components and blade mountings. Most of the Korea "G" model machine I worked on had the old International engine. There was a retrofit kit to install the Cummins engine later on. The Cummins came standard in all the "H" model machines. We had a bunch of problems with the Cummins and servere shaking at low idle. The mufflers would literally snap off the exhaust manifolds or the turbo charger outlets would get busted up. We retrofitted a clearance kit on the engine hood and upped the idle speed on the engine to reduce the issues. These machines are still made using the same designs invented in the sixties and seventies. They are of simple construction with almost no high technology to foul up operation. Almost anyone with the Craftsman tool set could fix almost any problem that might occur.