I’m having problems with my converter stalling when in a heavy load. I was wondering if going to a heavier viscosity hydraulic oil would help? Presently, I’m using a 22 wt Hyd oil. I was thinking about going to a 42 wt oil. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
I'm not familiar with the International dozers but there are a couple users here that have extensive knowledge of them, they should be along sooner rather than later.
I have located, actually bought, a converter out of a ih 175 loader. I wonder if it will be the same as the TD 15c?
Increasing the hydraulic oil viscosity to 42 wt might help reduce stalling under heavy loads. However, consider the manufacturer's recommendations and potential impacts on the system's overall performance before making any changes. Consult a professional if needed.
SAE 10w is the oil that most IH machines use in their granny's, TQ. Thicker oil might make it worse. Is the engine doing the correct RPM, could be throttle linkage not allowing full revs. Look for simple things first, RPMs, oil viscosity, filters and suction screen. They will stall out under heavy loads and with sufficient traction. Is it stalling in Lo gear or 2nd, ie the manual Hi Lo lever. Not sure about a 175 TQ, they might have a different stall ratio as in a loader needs more power to the Hyds rather than to the tracks as in a dozer, somebody may know more about that than me. Cheers
Rpm is not an issue. I’ll change the filters and cut them open for inspection. I need to look for the suction screens, however my converter is not overheating. I’m pretty sure the transmission pump and suction lines has nothing to do with the converter stalling. My driveshaft stops turning. Thanks for any advice, she’s starting to turn into a hanger queen.
Also does the converter pump oil through the filters?
I've got the full set of books for a 175C that "should" be the same config. If I can remember!!!!! I'll grab them this weekend and look for this.
I really appreciate all the help, Steve
I’ve been studying a 175 book. The transmission pump does supply the Hyd oil to the converter. I suppose if it was weak it would limit the oil to the converter which could create a stall, I think.
The engine speed on the TD15C is if fitted with the 466 is around 2'550 rpm, if the converter is done fore the heat would be building up fast and the oil pressure gauge would be off range, the transmission clutch packs wear out as does the sealing of the pistons that work them, the drive shaft spinning and not spinning just prove its going into or out of gear, what you need to check is the engine stall speed at high rpm and if the shaft is rotating without moving by holding the Tractor on the brakes, the torque can be stripped down and repaired as the transmission can, there is 100 plates inside them the TD15B has a few less.
Is this what you're seeing in your manual?
Upper left corner is some test points. Lube Converter Main
Pressure tests (Note to self, no upside-down pictures)
Here is section 4 tests
Section 5
Section 6
Section 7
Section 8 (no comments from the peanut section please)
I turned up the rpm’s about 200 more. It helped a lot, but it’s still weak.
How do I accurately check the rpm’s?
To check the RPMs in a Dresser TD 15C converter stall accurately, you need a tachometer. This device measures the engine's speed in revolutions per minute (RPM). First, make sure the converter stall is engaged. Then, attach the tachometer to the engine according to its instructions. Start the engine and let it idle. Read the RPM on the tachometer display. This tells you how fast the engine is running. If you're unsure about using the tachometer, it's best to ask someone experienced for help.
So I decided to install a new transmission pump. Over $800 dollars but im getting to the end of my rope with my hanger queen. I couldn’t get the gear to mesh with the converter gear and the pump spline. I figured out to rotate the pump in the housing to take the gear mesh with the converter out of play, installing the gear on the spine then was easy, then rotate the pump to the correct position and wow that made it easy. Hope this info might help someone.