Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser Td25G Steering

Mark SFD ยท 2022-11-09 09:05

Recently bought a Dresser Td25G. It has a Cummins Kt10 in it that runs great. Unit sat for a long time and has just under 10k hours on it. Fired right up and runs strong. Fluids are all up to par but im having an issue with the steering. It will turn left just fine, i notice the clutch pressure gauge will jump up on the gauge to the green (good) area but not when i turn right. It tries to and every once and a while in reverse it will but not consistently. Could it be a linkage issue? I am not familiar with these machines at all so any help or input would be appreciated. Also if anyone has a service or parts manual that would be great. I will buy a hard copy or pdf if i have to. Also looking for a manual for an Akerman H14B crawler excavator. Does anyone have a rough idea of what the Td25G is worth? Track chains and sprockets are in great shape, runs strong, has factory heat and ac although ac no working. Enclosed cab but someone smashed every damn window out of it. Looking for a lead on glass if anyone knows where to find it. Thanks and sorry for the long post. Pics below and TIA .

Replies23
  1. #1John C.2022-11-09 20:56

    Does the two speed steering work? I haven't been on one of those for years but remember the steering is planetary and oil operated. Mechanical linkages operate hydraulic valves to operate the brake and clutch setup. Everything is under the seat. There is supposed to be a plug on the side of the main frame that allows you to adjust the clutch on each side of the machine. You will need a service manual and probably someone who has done it before. If there are problem inside, you will have to remove the cab and the deck plate on top for access. Final drives on those machines are a bear so pray there are no problems in there.

  2. #2Mark SFD2022-11-10 07:10

    Thanks for the reply! Yes the two speed does work. Correct me if im wrong but i believe that pushing the two levers all the way forward is high, and then partial back is neutral and all the way back is brake for either side? I will have some time this weekend to dive into it further. Hopefully it is an adjustment like you said as the left side does work fine. Final drives seem good to me. I would love to find a service manual to check everything over with. It sure is one hell of a machine.

  3. #3John C.2022-11-10 09:12

    As I recall all the way forward was high, pulling back to the next detent was low and all the way back was the steering brake that locked that sides track movement.

  4. #4JaredV2022-11-10 23:54

    Can't help you in anything else but it's all flat glass so any reputable glass shop should be able to cut glass to fit. They'll probably want you to make patterns of the openings.

  5. #5Welder Dave2022-11-11 02:00

    Sprocket segments look to be getting pretty pointed from what I can see.

  6. #6R.D.G0132022-11-11 02:04

    Ohhh, that's a nice wee dozer, always liked the 25s with the 2 speed steering, spent some time on 25s & 20E & 15 C. THE steering levers are both fwd is Hi, one click back is Lo, and further back is disengage and further back begins to apply the brake to that side do do a pivot turn. By working the levers U hardly ever need to do a pivot turn as U can manouver by using the 2 speed. There was a video I came across on Youtube that was a Dresser training video on the TD 25 steering system and was very informative, can't remember its name but could really be helpful for U. It could possibly an O ring problem with your machine but finding it is the hard part. Nice looking dozer that is, would luv to have one in my back yard.

  7. #7R.D.G0132022-11-11 23:47

    On YouTube look up International Harvester TD 25 E steering and final drive training video and there is is 2 x 20 minute videos on the system which is probably similar to yours. Also on RedPower magazine which is an IH site there was a guy on there called Rocko 59 who was good on his IH dozers and might be worth having a look for. Cheers

  8. #8Dave Neubert2022-11-12 08:16

    Have to pull out the whole speed module from the machine its a big job and not cheap to rebuild one the last one I did was in a 15 had about $6,000 in parts good luck

  9. #9Mark SFD2022-11-13 09:00

    Thanks everyone for the replys. I have watched the videos on youtube, very informative but having a bit of trouble completely understanding where my problem my lie. As stated it is a big job and expensive and not worth the time, labor and cost to me to go inside the machine and repair. I will use for now and try and check out the linkages from the levers to see if i can adjust something. I dont need a machine this big but happen to come across it as a good price. Anyone have an appox value of the machine? Im located in Northeast USA. As far as glass. yes i have contacted a glass shop and they can make them just wanted to see if there was some i could buy somewhere off the shelf. Appreciate all the input and you are all correct about how the steering works. I have watched the videos on youtube but still a bit unclear on where my problem may lie.

  10. #10Dave Neubert2022-11-13 17:09

    sounds like the left steering clutch pack is bad either the discs are wore or the seals are bad put a guage in the left clutch pack and see if you have good pressure or not

  11. #11Mark SFD2022-11-15 07:26

    Do you know where the test port would be located? I checked out the linkage and all appears to be in order. Getting full throw forward and backward of both levers. I dont plan on going into the steering housing as its a big job and for what i need it for it will do the job. Thanks for the input.

  12. #12Dave Neubert2022-11-15 14:10

    I think it is on the right side where the filters are ther should be a access door outside at the rear side of cab they should be marked

  13. #13Mark SFD2022-11-17 11:32

    Great thank you I will have a look this weekend.

  14. #14randyd85px2023-04-28 11:55

    Did you ever figure out your issue?? My Dad has run nothing but international/Dresser & done all repairs,rebuilds on them for 58 years..He knows them inside out,back n forth,up & down..Let me know if you need some assistance..Lol he has buildings filled with pumps, parts,finals, ,idlers,rollers motors,trans,complete undercarriages..It's absolutely crazy!!!

  15. #15Welder Dave2023-04-28 14:53

    Welcome to the forum Randy. You and/or your dad may be able to shed some light in the 175B loader thread.

  16. #16randyd85px2023-04-28 15:47

    Hi Dave,thank you for the welcome!! It's nice to finally join in..I'm very new here so will do my best to navigate around on here & also will go to that thread you had mentioned..I will certainly be giving any & all direction from my Dad as he is the one that many many people get in touch with from across Canada..Again,thank you for the nice welcome & we shall be in touch again soon..

  17. #17randyd85px2023-04-29 10:44

    Goodmorning Dave!! So I just showed my Dad a few of the threads on the 175 loader stuff & he just started telling me all sorts of stuff about this model that model when they switched to this to that lol..I said stop I can't remember all this lol.. He just had to head out for a while but said when he gets back,I'll be the secretary typing while he gives the words..This type of site as its new to me,he is 79 this year,so it's extremely new to him..I think he will really enjoy this & hopefully can help some guys out if they need it..Ttyl

  18. #18itguylarry2023-08-02 18:50

    Hello everyone, I have this hose and a part number for it 1287694H1. I cannot find a single thing about it though. it should be available the hose isn't that old. can anyone tell me what it is used for, the name of it anything would help Thank You in advance

  19. #19Welder Dave2023-08-02 21:37

    Do you think it's off an IH machine and/or which one? It looks odd the way it's wrapped. Does if have any pressure ratings on it?

  20. #20itguylarry2023-08-04 14:47

    Yes I have been able to find out that it is for an IH. in the green stripe it says Gates 32 C4 2 inch SAE 100R4 Flame Resistant. I think it is some sort of return line.

  21. #21Welder Dave2023-08-04 21:42

    Need to look at some manuals for IH machines or find an old dealer that could look it up. How did you acquire it?

  22. #22chidog2023-08-06 00:16

    "Does anyone have a rough idea of what the Td25G is worth?" Just like all the old big dozers, the value depends on how much gold you think is in the belly pans. Most are worn out metal fatigued, needing many thousands of $ of parts and repairs. Many are not worth scrap price, because to scrap one costs $. With emissions being a big factor, such machines may not be allowed on certain job sites. Most of them are now for hobbyists. Yeah expensive hobby.

  23. #23IC INC2023-10-07 13:47

    Mark SFD, Did you ever figure out your steering issue? I am looking at td25g which may have similar issue with steering. The owner said machine haven't ran for long time and when it ran the left steering wasn't working. I haven't purchased the machine, so for now doing homework to see if it's worth my time. Thanks!