Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dresser TD7G Clutch Pressure Question

g_man ยท 2011-09-30 19:54

I bought a TD7G that had been setting for 2 years. I did some U/C work and am now learning and running it. I have gone through all of the maintenance items and fluid changes along the way. Though I have no experience, so I don't know for sure, everything seems to be well. No trouble shifting, gradual turning, or pivoting. Now the question. My clutch pressure gauge is in the green but it hardly ever moves. Once in a great while I will see a slight temporary flutter in the needle but thats all. Even when I shut down the needle stays put. This doesn't seem right to me but I don't understand how all those valves work and if they hold pressure. Before I take the dash off and check the gauge I want to make sure that this is not normal. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Replies2
  1. #1Iron@Dirt2011-10-02 19:34

    Is that a transmission pressure gage? When you first turn the key to on (dont start the engine) does the needle drop near zero? If the G has gages like the H ( similar to IH gages) the contacts behind the gage get corroded over time. You can pop the cover off and check out. You could also check pressure with a manuel gage to verify good or bad and know for sure.

  2. #2g_man2011-10-02 19:56

    Thanks for the reply. I guess it would be transmission pressure. They call it transmission clutch pressure. It is from a port on the range selector valve. When I first turn the key it just stays at about 2/3 of the green. Never considered that it might be an electrical problem. I think I have a pressure line going up into the back of the gauge. Some wires too. Sounds like you are telling me that there is something wrong with the way mine acts. I guess I will have to take the dash apart and see what is in there.