Hi, Does anyone know if it is a problem to drive a C238 tracked skid steer backwards continuously for 8 - 12 hours a day? Thanks, Matt
I believe they prefer going forward like all tracked machines, but i couldnt explain why. What application are you in that demands going in reverse all day?
Trying to take hours off the clock?
I don't see a problem. Hydros and drive motors are designed to run either way no problem. Depending the under carriage may wear weird a bit running backwards, but I wouldn't think anything real not noticeable.
Thanks for your answers. Kind of a weird application but we need to use one to pull an implement instead of pushing. Matt
I don't think you'll have a problem. What are you pulling?
The answer that comes to mind here is that your undercarriage will suffer. When running forward, the surface of the track on the ground is pulled tight by the drive sprocket and the only slack is in the return side. Running long periods in reverse can lead to slack between the drive sprocket and the track rollers,leading to premature wear of your sprocket and undercarriage. You may alleviate this to some degree by running your tracks tighter but this will chase the stresses and wear elsewhere.
The hydro system will be fine but as mentioned above the tracks are made to push in one direction. Now if you are doing something with low draft loads such as trenching then its not going to be as big of an issue, but if you are trying to pull something hard through the ground maybe look at pushing it? I think your nexk will wear out before the machine though
We will be pulling a wheeled 400 gallon sprayer. Once the tank is moving there won't be too much draft.