Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Driving wharf pileings

Alex85 · 2015-01-05 21:28

Does anyone have any experience driving pileings for a wharf from the part of the wharf that has already been built? I have a 200 size machine and not sure if the wharf will support the machines weight. I am using spruce pileings ten feet apart or so and probably hemlock 10x10s on top of that with 4x6s for the decking. I know some people around here do it but haven't checked into what size machine they have used.

Replies6
  1. #1Anthonycecil2015-01-06 21:31

    you may not want to try that unless the standing wharf-dock is really heavy duty…..If by chance the wharf were to collapse, how far would your machine (with you in it) plunge??, and then would you be able to retrieve it ….In my situation, the depth of the water would be around four feet at low tide, and we have a eight foot tide on the dark of the moon….If you are on a lake with a gradual drop off, it might be a lot different in your case…Tony

  2. #2lantraxco2015-01-06 22:39

    Just No. Barge?

  3. #3Alex852015-01-07 20:10

    It wouldn't plunge far there is mud flats there on low water. We have 10 to 12 ft tides here but any amount would be to far don't ya think? Lol I think the pileings would be more like 6 ft apart not ten. Anyhow I may have to use a smaller machine. I think renting a barge would be kinda pricey. The scale of this operation is probly to small to make it feasible.

  4. #4old-iron-habit2015-01-07 21:27

    You have a lot of items that come into play here. How are the timbers attached to the piling. Are you using a drop hammer where you can control the speed and shock, or a diesel or air hammer. Will you be point loading the dock at the end of the tracks because you are at load capacity. If safety and sanity is a concern, I would suggest a barge unless a marine experienced structural engineer approved the dock with your pile driver.

  5. #5Alex852015-01-08 19:25

    They are going to be setting on top of the pileings. And I was just going to drive them with the bucket not too high tech lol. I think I mite be looking in the wrong place for my answer. However I figured it was to heavy that's why I'm asking if anyone has any experience.

  6. #6old-iron-habit2015-01-08 19:53

    Sorry, I thought it was a commercial job. I have never drove piling that did not have to go to a pre-set bearing.