Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Drone Harassment

Tugger2 · 2022-04-27 22:13

Has anyone here been bothered by drones? I thought this was a big city problem but we are seeing them in our rural area. Looked up a while back and there was one scoping out the inside of my shop from less then 20' away. A neighbor told me they had one inthier yard flying amongst their vehicles at 4:30 am ,they caught it on their security camera. Any ideas how to combat this insidious invasion of privacy besides a 12 guage?

Replies87
  1. #1Tyler d4c2022-04-27 22:19

    A fella I know lives right near the air port was out flying his the day Trump was stopping by. A black suv showed up and told him he better stop flying till the next day or they'd be back. Not thats it a help to your problem but we laugh at him for it.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2022-04-27 22:37

    I have never even seen any drones that I did not know who was operating them.

  3. #3Camshawn2022-04-27 22:50

    I’m a fan of the 12g solution. They have a place but common sense would not having it peeking into your shop during the day. Looking over a business in the very early morning would be thieves scoping the area. Most people use them responsibly. We never hear about them. Cam

  4. #4ianjoub2022-04-27 23:16

    A break barrel pellet gun or .22 short with an oil filter on the end of the barrel would do the trick and draw far less attention to you.

  5. #5ianjoub2022-04-27 23:16

    Or, buy a cheap drone and have a mid air collision.

  6. #6673moto2022-04-27 23:35

    Was working in my driveway one day and heard a drone come down... was hovering 20’ up and as it slowly spun in a circle checking things out the guy must have seen me walking closer to it. .. it took off in a flash and I watched it until it became a spec and disappeared. must have flown a good mile away, at a fast pace. Nothing ever came of it but still, I didn’t like the invasion of privacy.

  7. #7Tony Wells2022-04-28 00:47

    Since this seems to be a growing problem, legislation is being put forward to address privacy issues as well as countermeasures. It appears that the FAA is involved and is classifying these as "aircraft" and shooting one down, even if it's peering in your bedroom window can get you in hot water. That is presuming the owner fesses up to that, but simply flying over your privacy fence while your old lady (or daughters) is sunbathing certainly is offensive, that, in the eyes of the law at this point does not justify downing it, and again, hot water. I think a trained Peregrine would be more entertaining anyway and a plausible solution. Might get by with that, too. It will get sorted out, because (it's already been done) they can be weaponized. Saw a vid of a 9mm mounted on one. Shooting that one I'd not hesitate and call a good lawyer. Should be able to get away with that. To me, it's virtual trespassing and should be treated the same. The things have cameras (eyes) so the operator can read signs just the same as if they were on foot right at your fence. Many have been shot down, and many people are fighting their right to do so. In fact, if I remember correctly I read that it has become somewhat a sport in CO to go drone hunting. Bad publicity, but it may provide the needed push to get it under some kind of control. There is also the problem of LEO use of drones. How would that play out in court I wonder. You might someday get the law to let you shoot them down in general, but when the law is using them so sniff out a meth lab, how are you supposed to differentiate that from a nosy, or malicious operator invading your privacy? I think it is legal to net them, and hold them until the owner contacts the law and you get a visit and a chance to explain. Just not legal to destroy someone else's drone, even in your own airspace, which is part of why the FAA is getting involved.

  8. #8suladas2022-04-28 01:11

    If it's on my property i'll gladly do anything I can to down it. It's an invasion of privacy and trespassing.

  9. #9skyking12022-04-28 01:12

    we had a really dumb neighbor who did some of that. I am in ~100' tall trees, so you have to settle down into the property deliberately. He only did it once. My alternative is not a gun but a garden hose. They won't tolerate a blast from the hose. If it becomes a pattern you can set up one of those motion detector sprinklers to watch over your place. My other neighbor's place was more open and he did indeed offer the shotgun. Stupid neighbor said it was his right to fly anywhere. Karma visited him in a most direct way. He burned his house pretty bad when one of those high powered batteries burned up on the charger

  10. #10Jimothy2022-04-28 05:52

    Funny enough, lots of jobs get filmed now. For the love of god let the guys know before you get within range haha labourers will start throwing anything the have and the shovel guys love to smash stuff. last job I can think of they never let us know and there were rakes flying up 30 ft and 100000 pound excavators giving it a swing too. Was our own guy filming haha

  11. #11aighead2022-04-28 06:39

    Eek! This is a crazy thread. My neighbor has a pretty fancy drone that he was flying a fair amount and he's let me mess with it some. I think he's pretty respectful but the quality that comes out of the camera on that thing, plus the range of like 5 miles and around 50mph (I think) is pretty insane. It's also capable to set on a path so it can be programmed to go check out whatever. My first instinct was shotgun, but I love the idea of netting it or hitting it with a hose. I think, if it's close enough, a few sheets of paper would knock it down as well, I'd think a stack of 10 sheets or so, tossed like a frisbee, would do it. I really do not like the idea of having one fly around checking out the inside of my barn or my house. We don't really have curtains in most of the house because the trees and distance block the view of pretty much everyone but it creeps me out to think of someone looking in the bathroom window.

  12. #12funwithfuel2022-04-28 07:01

    I thought that anything using image recording had to be held to same visual point as what you would see from the street. I set up security cameras around my property. Neighbors got upset and called the police. I showed them my setup and images and they were ok with it. They explained to the neighbor, "you have no expectation of privacy from what can be viewed from the street " They actually asked a year later to review footage when a bicycle disappeared. That said, if the drone is NOT lit up, and filming from a vantage point that someone would not reasonably have from the street or driveway, i see free trap practice.

  13. #13DDoug2022-04-28 07:33

    use a paintball gun....When these first came out, I suggested to a reloading friend that he should develop a 12 g shell with a fishnet (of stainless fishing leader) in it. "Drone Grabber" shells could probably fetch $20 a piece.

  14. #14Vetech632022-04-28 07:43

    I havent seen any over my property yet, but I have a 10-gauge goose gun that will reach it at some point.

  15. #15funwithfuel2022-04-28 08:09

    That is an outstanding idea. Reach out and touch someone.

  16. #16Vetech632022-04-28 08:15

    LMAO.......you got it brother!

  17. #17Tugger22022-04-28 08:45

    Maybe a detection radar on the house. Then miniature drone seeking missiles equipped with nets. That should do the trick. Ironically a month ago i sold an old truck to a friend and he had a TV film crew taking footage of the recovery. They had a drone doing some of the filming.It was amazing the capabilities of the thing. Good and bad to all these devices.

  18. #18Jonas3022022-04-28 10:39

    Have to plant a knife on it after you shoot it down Really though it would be a real bad idea to be on camera shooting down aircraft or netting ect

  19. #19Tony Wells2022-04-28 10:45

    We use a very nice drone ($4,000 or so) to inventory a 35 acre mulch operation. It has mapping and measuring capability to and is a timesaver. They used to pay a guy pretty good money to fly over it looking for hotspots on Sunday, the only day no one is on-site. This ground and composting material will self ignite. There have been a few calls made to the local fire dept. We also use it to watch machines as they grind from directly overhead, where no man could or should be, safely. Get some interesting footage form it. I wanted them to get one with an IR capable camera to do our own hotspot checking and get rid of that guy, but this one doesn't do it. Most people don't know it but the CCD camera element itself is IR sensitive, and within the lense structure there is an IR filter. It can be removed, but it's very delicate to get to. My brother used to do warranty service for all the major camcorder makers, and could do it, but I asked him the other day in fact, if he still could and he said only if he had to. Didn't like that delicate work any more. A few years have gone by. fwf, you are correct about the selected views on security cameras. The aforementioned brother is a licensed security guy and there are lots of rules to follow on security camera setups and most are in line with a reasonable expectation of privacy. That's where the laws are fuzzy. Drones don't yet fall under security camera laws. There is a battle going on just to establish who has rulemaking authority on them and whether it will be Federal or State. Right now, security cameras are state regulated, and here that falls under the TDPS, just like private detectives, etc. But since they are airborne, thus the FAA interest. Then now that they have been used as weapons, the Feds want in on it too via the ATF.

  20. #20_Weldman_2022-04-28 10:58

    Don't own one "yet" but need to come this summer to spot wildfires coming this way since we have no warning system here. Also be nice to have one to check the mail to see if packages have been delivered or not. Mailbox is about 3 miles away and more than once they put down delivered only to be holding the package in town and that's a 6 mile walk or drive for no reason, waste of time. Also this is a private road that ends up with people not belonging down here so it takes a minute to crank the truck up to go investigate, walking takes a bit across the property to go see what's going on and they are gone by the time I get there. Nothing more irritating than seeing ATV ruts on your property not knowing who did it cause they are already gone.

  21. #21fastline2022-04-28 13:31

    Everyone here needs to fight against drone invasions, even if you have not yet been directly affected. Many local governments are working to use them to spy on tax payers, and some are already doing it. The courts do not have a unified stance on the matter, but I will happily argue it in any court. Some courts seem to think you cannot expect privacy because airplanes commonly fly over, but airplanes typically do not fly 100ft overhead, with high rez optics. That is a ridiculous claim. I don't think people understand the court system. There is a thing called evidence that is required. I have personally FORCED that evidence from my county, not due to drones, but another matter where they are obviously using high power optics to spy. They realized I was going to destroy them in court due to their invasion of privacy and harassment, and they dismissed. We have been development anti drone munitions and tech. Even though the FAA tries to classify these as an aircraft, and you would be downing an aircraft, I would still take that challenge in any court. This would be little different than any 'stand your ground' or 'right to self defense' law. I would make that drone disappear. Get a warrant FROM A JUDGE to come look for it. One defense I see as reasonable is 'self defense'. These things can literally be loaded with weapons, you are scared of it! You thought it was an alien and you were going to die. Smartest approach is just like shooting someone.....shut your mouth until you discuss with your atty. I would be willing to bet if one was spying in a backyard 20ft away and you drop it, not a single soul will come looking for it, because that in and of itself is proof of where it was operated. Some of these require an FAA license to fly, and if they get hammered for an illegal flight, they lose their license. OR, they have no license at all, which is likely illegal right there. Either way, put them down! As to how, I will not hand out all my tech at the moment, but we are not working on a 12ga solution because of the way a firearm law is written. Compressed air is not considered a firearm, though I suspect legal pricks will work to change this. The discharge of such a device is NOT a firearm discharge currently.

  22. #22aighead2022-04-28 14:51

    Good call fastline, I agree with you but I also understand Spud's uses. There's a somewhat fine line, but spying isn't cool. I'm hearing vortex cannon...

  23. #23funwithfuel2022-04-28 15:12

    Potato guns are still legal, right. As long as they make aqua-net and starting fluid, and a sack o spuds , we're good to go.

  24. #24cuttin edge2022-04-28 15:20

    Not sure how the law goes here, but if it's not a toy, you have to be licensed to operate one. There are no fly zones, like bridges, and around air ports. I think there is an altitude restriction as well. They are a great tool for ground search and rescue, especially in the late fall and winter when the leaves are off the tree. If a thief is using one, it must be stolen. Buddy I work with has one, and he paid $1600.00 for it.

  25. #25Pixie2022-04-28 17:07

    There are also no-fly zones around prisons. They built 2 prisons about 4 miles from my large woodlot and I can't use a drone there. Irritating because a drone would be great for timber cruising.

  26. #26_Weldman_2022-04-28 17:45

    Want to send a drone to the ground or wherever but where it intends to go and not get caught or be seen, jam the signal. It’s against legality of posting the plans but it involves cordless phone signal which is the same wavelength as drones and Wi-Fi mixed with a satellite dish that’s small enough to be portable. If you can simulate a EMP in its direction also will send it to the ground namely the same thing a microwave puts out using similar device. Lastly you can really fry it with a parabolic mirror for lowest tech way

  27. #27boaterri2022-04-28 18:15

    Or block the gps signal. Illegal as He77 but prove you did it. When it comes down step on it.

  28. #28funwithfuel2022-04-28 18:49

    I like Spuds direction, unfortunately I lack the super secret, secret squirrel skills to pull off such a feat. Doesn't mean I don't wanna try.

  29. #29Truck Shop2022-04-28 19:15

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spud_gun_legality#United_States

  30. #30_Weldman_2022-04-28 19:37

    Start with blocking those smart speakers like “Alexa”, when you have done that you are on the right path

  31. #31Steve Frazier2022-04-28 21:54

    I work on the security team at our local annual County Fair and they have a "No drones" policy on the Fairgrounds. This Fair attracts 35,000 to 50,000 people per day for 5 days. There are usually a few high profile country artists giving concerts evenings. That's where we see the drones, recording the concerts. There's about 50 of us in Security all in radio contact and when one is spotted we spread out to find the operator. If they're off site by any distance there's not much we can do but we often find the operators on site. I don't know if these are federal or state laws but anyone who flies on the Fairgrounds is subject to some pretty serious charges. One State Police Sergeant is very well educated in drone law and I've seen him put an operator in tears with the charges he faced. Both the Sate Police and Sheriff's Dept have headquarters on the Fairgrounds and both have their own drones they send up and track the offending drones with. I haven't seen one on my property but it would really **** me off to find one snooping around. The 870 and 00 will certainly be my first thought.

  32. #32emmett5182022-04-28 21:57

    As Daffy Duck used to say, "Shoot 'em on the rise. It's more sporting that way."

  33. #33Steve Frazier2022-04-28 22:00

    I just remembered, a neighboring fire department had a rope gun. It would fire a rescue rope across a distance, I've seen it send a rope 100 feet across a creek to rescue someone caught in flood waters. I bet something like that could be rigged to take a net with it, or might even have a cartridge set up to do just that.

  34. #34Bumpsteer2022-04-28 22:27

    Haven't had any problems here....yet. But then there is that Remington SP-10 in the safe. Ed

  35. #35skyking12022-04-29 00:50

    checking the mail is a great idea Spud. I can also get you set up with long range radios for a network connection to a camera, and have it all work on a solar panel at the far end. You do need line of sight for that to work, or a relay(s) with Line of Sight (LOS).

  36. #36_Weldman_2022-04-29 01:05

    Yeah not straight LOS for that to work, I figure to NAP the earth with the drone to not bother anyone or irritate anyone, then again either they might be too drunk to notice it, too stoned to see that far, or too crazy to think it was real.

  37. #37fastline2022-04-29 01:49

    I have no issues at all with drones. They are extremely helpful tools and there are countless ways they are being employed. I know I could use one badly for many reasons and I know farmers that use them to check cows! However, as with many things, like guns, some will find deviant or illegal uses. I bring up government use because governments don't do it illegally, they get someone to write a law that grants them that power. A power that I HIGHLY doubt most citizens would approve of. Regarding anti drone tech, there are a few techniques that work, but some are illegal. Jamming radio signals will not do much to a modern drone as they are programmed to remember their flight path for a "return to home" feature, should comms be lost. But really the first step is target acquisition. It is one thing to shoot down a drone you see, it is another to even be alerted to their presence. I think drones present a different issue in densely populated areas as I have seen people fly them literally down busy streets. You technically have no authority if it is not over your own property and the current property hold for many city dwellers is maybe 15k sf at best. To be honest, I am not entirely sure DOD level defense systems are the practical answer. I tend to think something like FAA requirements that ALL drones must have an enabled GPS becon that can be broadcast to all cell towers and people can use a phone and get alerts to drone activity. A GPS registry can assign a unique GPS ID to a drone and a flight path can be obtained. It seems overkill, and mostly half baked as an idea, but it seems reasonable that if someone is flying a drone over your property, you should have the right to know about it! As with recreational aircraft, those are manned and usually they are at much higher altitudes, but drones typically are flying low and operating high quality optics and video systems. Just something I was thinking about.

  38. #38Birken Vogt2022-04-29 10:18

    One problem some of you may not be aware of is the wildfire situation in the west, and drones. Every summer there are fires of the natural vegetation every day, it is just a fact of life. Every fire gets a response of fire engines, buses with hand crews, bulldozers on lowboys, chiefs in cars, and usually at least 4 different airplanes and helicopters. The whole operation is sort of like a combined arms military engagement. The eye in the sky airplane orbits up high, tankers [bombers] orbit the opposite directions down lower except when they make their runs when they peel of and come in low and straight, and helicopters operate low in the terrain coming and going from water dip holes. People like to put up their drones to see the action, but policy is that the whole airshow vacates when this happens, because they can't keep track of where the drone is, who is operating it, and if it is going to get sucked into someone's engine or smack their windshield. The fire cops try to catch whoever is flying them, but it is whack-a-mole.

  39. #39JPSouth2022-04-29 10:33

    Several jobsites around here the past few years have seen drones loitering overhead, turned out it was OSHA. Have heard anecdotal reports of citations being issued from that practice.

  40. #40fastline2022-04-29 12:04

    That's precisely the **** I am talking about! Telling you guys, we have to collectively fight back against it, or they will have drones hovering along the roads shooting radar. Just remember that the government works FOR the people, which means if 'the people' do not want it, it should not happen, but government has become a 'for profit' BUSINESS over the last 100yrs. BTW, does anyone here support term limits in congress? Yes? Yes?, then why isn't that done yet? That right there concerns me......

  41. #41RollOver Pete2022-04-29 14:34

    Hell yes. But that's political and something we can't publicly discuss.

  42. #42Vetech632023-11-23 08:18

    I believe it's my responsibility to watch one fall in pieces from a shot blast. I would at least give it a salute on the way down.

  43. #43Truck Shop2023-11-23 08:29

    Commander Vetech 63 strode from his house with his favorite camo hat covered in twigs and rotten dried grass. He heard a drone in the distance and thought now would be his chance to bag a one with his trusty 12. But the the drone was just that of a old 2 stroke.

  44. #44skyking12023-11-23 08:56

    LEO's have hunter drones with nets.

  45. #45Truck Shop2023-11-23 09:23

    The next item people should have with out any form of regulation what so ever, even grandma's should have them is a Star Trek hand held Laser Gun, to shoot those drones. I'm sure the safe and sane public can handle those.

  46. #46skyking12023-11-23 10:50

    leave it to Japan. They don't want to drop the drone on the people below, so they made that net thing. It has to sneak up on the offending drone because it sure can't run them down.

  47. #47caseloader2023-11-23 12:48

    12 ga with steel goose loads solved my problem! Only took one time to let them know I meant business!

  48. #48Georgia Iron2023-11-23 13:20

    I just got to use a friends nice Mavic drone this past weekend. Was mapping out a swamp and looking at where I could make the water deeper for some ducks. It was a good piece of gear to have. I have a family member that uses a thermal one to hunt hogs. He is very successful and cuts down on wasted time checking empty fields. I think we should be able to use them as we see fit without government interference. I also think that if you get in range of a 12 gauge with the drone, you got to close and tfb. But they will never ok random people firing into the air. Based on how fast they move it will be hard to knock one down

  49. #49Truck Shop2023-11-23 13:43

    Right here-may as well have some fun and waste some money at the same time. Have/cause a mid air collision, maybe a little smoke and fire thrown in. https://www.amazon.com/VOLANTEXRC-A...8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

  50. #50_Weldman_2023-11-23 14:10

    Get a RF jammer or build one (not hard) and put out few hundred watts in the 2.4 GHz to 5.8 GHz range and watch it lose all control. Very rare would you find one in the 900 MHz as that is in industrial wave length of drones i.e. agriculture, surveying and such. In the 1.2 GHz to 1.3GHz range is the advanced operators, researchers as like high altitude usage.

  51. #51OzDozer2023-11-23 20:59

    Get yourself a pet eagle, they hate drones on their territory, with a passion! Why, they even tackle ultralight aircraft! Google Search The Dutch are training eagles to take down drones. Drone flying contraband and firearms into prisons are a problem, and terrorists use of drones is going to be a coming thing. Wedge-tailed eagle captured swooping on drone The wedge-tailed eagle sent the drone crashing to the ground at a farm in Western Australia. www.bbc.com

  52. #52skyking12023-11-24 00:49

    We joke about it but I remember hearing this story on the radio. https://www.backpacker.com/news-and...-drone-pilot-killed-a-generation-of-seabirds/ some jackwagon crashes his drone into a big flock of nesting seabirds, and they abandoned hundreds maybe a thousand eggs on the beach. It was posted no drone flying and they just thumb their noses at it. Pisses me purple!

  53. #53OzDozer2023-11-24 01:30

    Someone took a video of that famous wedgetail eagle (they call him "Jack the Ripper") ploughing talons-first into the top surface of an ultralight wing - and bouncing off, as his talons couldn't grab anything, due to the smooth surface! Can't find that video now. Have you seen the videos of the eagle swooping down from the mountains and grabbing a goat or sheep? The goat or sheep then falls off the ledge with the eagle hanging on for grim death! - rolling over and over and over, until they hit more level ground, and the rolling stops! The eagle then flaps his wings to drag himself upright, and he's still got hold of the goat or sheep! He finally makes off with it, once it stops struggling! We brought up a wedgetail eagle from a chick once. We were clearing (chaining) reasonably heavy timber and one of the big trees had an eagles nest in it, unbeknown to us. If we'd known it was there, we could've left that individual tree. However, the tree came down and on the next round of the block, we spotted this eagle chick. He was about the size of a full-grown chicken, but only had a few feathers, so he couldn't fly. Didn't have any trouble picking him up (we were looking out for Momma and Pop eagle! LOL), popped him into a sack and took him home. You couldn't do this today because they're a protected species - but back in the early 1970's, they were declared vermin because farmers believed they took a lot of lambs. But a good study later, showed the eagles rarely took lambs, and if they did it was usually only sick ones - and even then, not very often. The researchers found the eagle nests mostly contained rabbit bones, and rat bones, and the bones of small marsupials. So we made this eagle chick a "nest", and fed him up on bits of meat, and he very quickly developed more feathers, and started walking around like he owned the place! The cats and dogs absolutely crapped themselves whenever they spotted him, and they went and hid! He never ever attacked anyone or anything though, he wasn't in the least bit aggressive. The SIL named him "Samson" because he was strong and fearless, which he surely was! When he started to get full feathers, he'd walk outside the house yard area, and run up and down the main yard, with his wings fully extended, and practising his flying! What a great sight! We had 5 acres on the outskirts of a small wheatbelt town, and the road past our place only had low levels of traffic. So then came the day he took to the air and flew a short distance! Then he decided he'd fly outside the front yard regularly, over the road, and then perch on the 500mm (18") above-ground water pipeline that ran past our place. He'd perch there nearly all day, then fly back into our yard in the late afternoon to get fed. It was funny watching the few local motorists drive past when he was perched on the water main, they couldn't believe this eagle just sat there, watching them! Then came the day a couple of months later when he flew off to soar around. He'd soar around the local area for a while, then come back and perch on the pipeline - then come in looking for a feed. He did this for a couple more months, then the visits got less and less - and then one day he flew off, and he never returned! I trust he found a mate, and lived a long and enjoyable life!

  54. #54cfherrman2023-11-24 07:44

    Awesome story! I'd refrain from using firearms as it can result in a felony, if you want to shoot it down stick with air power, it's legally different. Might be fun to hit it with a rock or something

  55. #55cw4Bray2023-11-24 08:26

    The biggest problem with drones is they can't handle the strong "winds aloft" and blow away or get lost. When that happens the "return home" programming won't work - the wind just carries them farther away. It's possible your drone, was struggling in the wind and he reduced altitude to reduce the wind effect even though the operator was within line of sight of you.

  56. #56Truck Shop2023-11-24 08:44

    That story is real close to what took place with a pet Raven I had on the dairy when I was a kid, Jacky Ray was his name.

  57. #57Willie B2023-11-24 08:58

    My son is a surveyor, works for a large company who's primary business is a privately owned water & sewer company serving three small cities. They use a drone for legitimate, non sinister purposes. A drone can observe & measure in minutes what would take a great deal of time for people with equipment. I hadn't considered the likelihood of invading privacy.

  58. #58skyking12023-11-24 09:42

    @Willie B it is obvious when you are on the receiving end of it. When somebody is working a lot they run up and back on it, and face in the direction of travel. When your ******** neighbor with no filter and perhaps a death wish drops down over your property in the 125' trees seen here, and pokes around your place with it you feel violated. Legit operators would not bother me and I would probably go bug them to see how it was going and look at the footage. Many years ago before they were around, I helped a couple of brothers take photos of their acreage to map it for possible logging. I opened up the small window in the plane and he took pictures with a larger format film camera like a hasselblad. He did OK but I made that one last turn with his head down at the hole, and he had to chunder in the bag on the way back to the airport.

  59. #59JEVANS2023-11-24 10:36

    i wonder If a T-shirt cannon could fire a net at a rogue drone? There just gas powered so should be all legal.

  60. #60skyking12023-11-24 10:57

    oh yeah. That could be fun to figure out the weighting on it, etc. Pack it like a parachute just right with some leaded cord on the edge and some predictable opening aerodynamics. GOTCHA! Get an old propane bottle and charge it up at the compressor, and make your own gun tube and big valve and hose.

  61. #61caseloader2023-11-24 11:28

    I figure its just like skeet shooting! For me its easy to score 24 out of 25 so the invader was no problem to hit!

  62. #62skyking12023-11-24 11:55

    I bet a guy could practice with bolas for a while and take one down a good percentage of the time if it was close enough to tick you off.

  63. #63_Weldman_2023-11-24 14:02

    Well if we want to go Neanderthal style, a good pressurized water cannon would take one out.

  64. #64cw4Bray2023-11-24 15:03

    Ultra-high pressure systems​ UHPS​ 1500 PSI Squirt gun. 16HP Honda / Briggs engine. The nozzle might need refining for high altitude drones.

  65. #65skyking12023-11-24 15:15

    I kind of prefer this option myself. Imagine what it would look like in the live video on your drone. AHHH!!

  66. #66cw4Bray2023-11-24 16:12

    Too complicated… just use a 2250 PSI “O2 tank” unregulated with a ball valve for the push and add the diesel through a Venturi

  67. #67DDoug2023-11-24 17:04

    ...And all these devices ^^^ you will have on you most of the time ? Not like they schedule them.

  68. #68cfherrman2023-11-24 17:57

    Make a compressed air potato gun, good for fun and still not a fire arm, then when you need it you got it.

  69. #69OzDozer2023-11-24 19:57

    The military and security agencies are rapidly getting pretty serious about drone-killing technology - but unfortunately, it's all restricted to military and Govt agencies who are tasked with protection from enemy combatants and terrorists. So we're still stuck with the low-tech options. Now I didn't tell you this - but high pressure compressed air, and a piece of pipe can send large-diameter ball bearings a lo-o-ong way!! I reckon a tyre bead seater could be a right useful device to start with!

  70. #70skyking12023-11-24 20:21

    all it takes is a good guy with a diesel fired pressure washer with the pump and battery and inverter or extension cord. Open carry on these pressure washers I say! "Grrrr" "I din't need my dog....."

  71. #71aighead2023-11-27 07:07

    Welp, the prices on what appear to be decent enough drones have come down enough that I went and ordered on yesterday. Supposed to show up on Tuesday but it looks like we have bad weather for a few days, so I'm not sure when I'll get to fly it. I've been interested in them since they came out and really enjoy flying the little indoor drones. It'll be neat to have to check on the back field and get some shots of my yearly go-kart track. There are quite a few trees between the house and the field, so my expectation is I'll do real flying of it back there and to the house, but it should be fun to mess around with. Now I don't need to count on Google to provide good satellite shots of the house. I'll report back.

  72. #72Truck Shop2023-11-27 09:45

    Make sure and fly around the back yards of the neighbor hood looking in at all the hot wives, need a report on how good it will survive a shot gun blast or operates under fire.

  73. #73skyking12023-11-27 10:27

    Chaff and flares option. Maybe a smoke screen.

  74. #74cw4Bray2023-11-27 13:04

    #1. MILITARY SURPLUS SMOKE SCREEN GENERATOR M3A4 PULSE JET ... NOT WORKING.... US https://www.ebay.com/itm/391899790178 #2. Or how about a 60,000 Watt transmitter for Meaconing, intrusion, Jamming, and Interference. ? High Power 10000W – 60000W ET Indium FM Transmitters – Elenos – World Broadcast Experience www.elenos.com Personally, I'd go with option #3 Russian ZSU-23-4 Shilka Self-Propelled Anti-Aircraft Gun radar guided.​

  75. #75_Weldman_2023-11-27 20:41

    My favorite one is going to local grocery get a helium balloon or few strap a cam on it send it up with video then capture screen shots later. Very cheap, that is until I got so many acres I now need a hot air balloon to photograph it all.

  76. #76aighead2023-11-28 06:41

    My wife is the hot one! I think I mentioned the neighbors drone previously. It was funny, I never really thought he was spying as much as curious but I noticed a couple times when I'd go out in the yard and start making noise that he couldn't account for from inside his house he'd throw the drone up and see what was going on. I don't ever want to spy or creep anyone out but I have a old abandoned barn across the way that I'd like to fly over to and check out. We've been inside it before but it's been a few years. I think I could let the barn's neighbor know I'm flying over and they'd be ok with it, other than that there isn't anyone around over there. They probably would like some aerial footage of their house anyway, on my way past.

  77. #77ChoeleDreaming2023-11-28 08:55

    I think you should run that one the US Military and offer the idea to Ukraine too. Pretty neat and cheap.

  78. #78ChoeleDreaming2023-11-28 09:08

    The long and the short of drones used in this manner is spying, perversion or more commonly property theft. Drones seemed like great fun and have a whole new dimension to our world when they first popularised their use. But like Google Maps, updated high resolution satellite imagery and battery operated cut-off wheels, all have grown to have more use in deviant behaviour and criminality. Screw the law. Shoot the **’s out of the sky; maybe with a hoodie over your face because remember they are capturing the vision. Clean up the debris fast. Any questions - you were shooting a crow. Didn’t see any drone. One benefit is that drones should make our TPD and workers compensation claims cheaper as PI companies scout for fraudulent claims of golf players, fishermen and avid DIY home project owners out of their wheelchairs.

  79. #79Mike_272023-11-29 03:35

    already here; https://www.budk.com/12-Gauge-Skynet-Drone-Defense--3-Pack-35975

  80. #80aighead2023-11-29 17:50

    So, she showed up, and the weather was agreeable this afternoon, so I took her for a flight. Only about 220 bucks and pretty sweet. I think the video from the SD is better quality but I just downloaded from the drone to my phone. Then uploaded. This was still on beginner mode, so speed, height, and distance from takeoff point were limited. A few flights later I changed it to intermediate mode and flew over the field out back. This thing is pretty quiet and dissappears about 200 feet away (though I think some trees were blocking the view and it's getting dark). I took it up to about 250 feet high or so and got some shots of the go-kart track. Extremely stable flights. There's a little bit of wind but this thing stopped on a dime and was very predictable, assuming I remembered which control sticks did what. I could easily fly it right up to my face at full speed up to about 3 feet away, and I did so but won't disturb you with those pictures.

  81. #81OzDozer2023-11-29 17:59

    Do we get to see the videos capturing the muzzle blasts and the buckshot flying towards the camera?

  82. #82aighead2023-11-29 18:05

    I hope to never be in a position that that would be necessary! I just texted my neighbors and said that I'd like to fly over the field next to their property to check out a barn (abandoned) but also said I can take some shots of their property if they'd like. Not to mention this thing is way smaller than a duck. I'm not sure a shotgun would hit it unless I was being a real d!@k.

  83. #83_Weldman_2023-11-29 18:49

    In basic training and in a career of an infantryman and such we sight in our rifles at 25 meters, getting a grouping of 3 shots in about a dime to nickel sized circle. I’m sure I could DOPE my scope to that one from my book.

  84. #84westerner2023-11-29 20:34

    I would use high brass 5 shot, like them pheasant hunters use. Full choke. I'll bet the thing can't dodge that any better than the quail around here....

  85. #85aighead2023-11-30 06:50

    Alright, let's not shoot my brand new drone down!

  86. #86MG842023-11-30 07:01

    For some reason this thread made me think of this song, maybe it’s the part about a ‘he’s got a 16ga choked down like a rifle, and don’t like a man thats gonna trifle’ lol

  87. #87wlhequipment2023-12-11 21:17

    8ga?