Hello. I’m looking at a Drott 50. I’ve never owned or used an excavator before. Its main purpose will be to clear stumps/brush and do jobs around my place. I own a farm and the machine will very rarely or never leave it. Basically I’m hoping to have an excavator that will do what I need it to (but doesn’t have to have all the comforts, e.g. a/c or whatever) It probably won’t get many hours but I need will last for a long time. I have not looked at the excavator yet but here is the information I have received from the seller so far. It is a 1982 Drott 50 with a V6 53 Detroit diesel engine which was rebuilt 1800 hours ago. It has ISO pattern pilot controls. The total hours of the machine are unavailable. It comes with a ditching bucket and a tooth bucket and has a mechanical thumb. They were using veggie oil in it so it's hard to start in the winter. The guy says the tracks and pump are in excellent condition and the whole machine is in very good condition. It might need a new exhaust I would really really appreciate any and all information/advice/opinions people would like to give me. Examples. If this one that I’m looking at look/sounds alright What the pros and cons of Drott 50’s Common problems they might have Places to look at for wear If you have used one, what you liked or disliked about it What things to look for or test when I go and test drive it. Etc. Etc. Etc. Really anything people would like to comment on Thank you very much for replying and thanks for your time Matt P.S. These are the pictures I received from the seller
I don't know anything about Drott excavators, but that one sure looks like it's been taken care of.
X2 on the know nothing about Drott but I agree that machine looks pretty clean and the tracks even look to be in good shape. You should see if the seller will let you put a couple of hours on it.
I agree with Roadrunner81 and Atco, the machine definitely looks well taken care of. I've never seen a track mount drott up close either... I guess check for the usual things on excavators - undercarriage, rotek bearing, pins/bushings in the boom, stick and bucket joints, engine for unusual sounds and hydraulics for proper operation. Where in Canada are you? Looks quite prairy-like... If you're close to the Calgary area I could go take a look for you some time.
I agree it looks good, Drott made the 50/50b/50d then Case made the 1280/1280 b soon replaced by the poclain/case 125b in the us, that machine is a 50d if it has pilot controls in the cab. the tool cylinder and final also reff the d, alot of these machines were sold with the tilt carbody, can't see if it has, pics to dark, but here are the problem areas, swing box, axle/sproket/piller blocks,swing bearing and pinion, first i would check lube in swing box then both final drives, next check for worn splines in sprockets along with piller blocks worn ,then the swing bearing bolts around upper structure and lower structure, check swing housing mount plate along with the three bolts that retain it to the mount, these were a power house in their day,make great farm machines, easy to work on compaired to the newer high tech, i have run many and still have a 40b at work that goes out when needed, not as fast/no air/ can't stand the bar acrosse the window, but gets the work done!
In reply to your posts ATCOEQUIP - I agree. Wasn’t expecting it to look as good as it does Roadrunner81- Thanks for the advice. I have asked the seller to let me take it for test drive before I buy it. Also my uncle is coming with me because he is the closest person to me that has experience with excavators. I heard from someone once that if the pump is in good shape I should be able to pull myself forward using the bucket/arm. Is this true? spitzair's - I live in Ontario, so I don't think you'll want to come and take a look, and sorry I can’t pay for you to fly out this way. Thank you very much for offering To sheepfoot and spitzair - First off thank you for the in-depth information. I do a lot of work on my tractors and equipment; I’m somewhat mechanically inclined so I’m sure I’ll be able to find some or most of the parts you’re speaking of. With that being said; I don’t have any experience with excavators – I’m wondering if you have or know of a website that might give me diagram/breakdown of an excavator so that I can find the locations of the parts you speak of. To anyone else I’d love any comments or information you’d like to give. I can’t have too much information and I greatly appreciate anything you give me. So keep the replies coming One more question. Is the Drott 50 a pretty good size? Will it handle tree stumps and things like that. Thanks for your time Matt
Matt, you can go to the case web site, go to the construction equipment,parts online,type drott in ,go down the left side untill you see the drott 50d parts,click on it, you can see alot of part pics and the names of the assemblies since your going to look at that machine. and yes that machine is rated at 1 1/4 yard with two or three differant sticks.
I heard from someone once that if the pump is in good shape I should be able to pull myself forward using the bucket/arm. Is this true? I would not use that method for determining pump condition. Again I know nothing about this machine but I would run the machine, try to use all boom functions and see if everything maintains speed or slows. I know on some machines using tracks can be a good measure of pump performance, see if it tracks straight. Good luck
Those things had Commercial Shearing gear type pumps in them. The quickest way we used to check them was to put the engine speed just above low idle and then try to pick up the boom. If it dogs the engine down a little and the boom comes up, the pumps are probably OK. If the engine barely dogs down and the boom doesn't move till you increase the engine speed you probably have an issue. Those pumps aren't that expensive and are probably the easiest item to find new today. The final drive and swing boxes might be just about non existent. Maybe someone here knows. I would suggest you find out if there are parts available before proceeding. They were a real good machine in their day for the amount of money they cost. One that old will likely need lots of rubber parts replaced. Good Luck!
For your use, the machine should be fine. I worked on a lot of these the year I spent in the woods in northern Ontario. They are noisy as hell and sort of clunky, but pretty easy to maintain. I found that every time I was called out to one for repairs, I should take a sack of tools in one hand, and a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic oil in the other. I don't know that you can ever pour enough hydraulic oil into these creatures. Change the fuel filters often, use good fuel, and always check the engine oil every day. (likely you will always need to ad some of that too. Also, keep the tracks fairly tight, particularly if you are working in woods or around stumps. There critters don't mind throwing a track at all in the most difficult places. Good Luck!
In Reply to your posts Sheepfoot – Thanks for the web site. It’s similar to the CASE IH web site which I use for parts. I looked for a while yesterday to find a beginners guide or diagrams with the names of parts, what things are called and so on. I only found one and it just had the bucket terminology(which is helpful). It was a diagram of a bucket with arrows pointing to each part giving me the name of it. It showed the different cutters, the names for all the different wear plates, tooth system, etc. I was wondering if you or if anyone knows where I might find something like that which would give me all the different parts of an excavator. I’m trying to get myself more familiar with the general locations, names, terminology. Any help here would be great. (I think I’ll attach the bucket diagram to let people know what I hope to find.) Roadrunner81 – Thanks for the tip on how to check pump condition, I’ll try it John C - Also thanks for the info. I’m wondering… I’m going to be starting it in the cold, how long should I let it warm up before I try testing it at low idle. Or can I operate it for a bit, have the oil warm up, then put it back at idle and test it then? Surfer-Joe – Always keeping oil on hand, it sounds like a few of the old tractors a use… The track tension, is there a rule of thumb? Or does the operator’s manual do a good job covering the specifics of how to tight the track should be. I hope to get the service and operator’s manuals with it. But if not, I’m going to try find some. Thanks guys for your time and your replies. Matt
If your on flat ground and never have to work in water over the undercarrige there just o.k. , the rear axle is supported by pillow block bearings and get rusty and have to be replaced often,and the splined axle shaft where it goes thru the rear sprocket is only splined half way. under hard loading the splines will strip ruining the shaft and sprocket ,damned poor setup. If you are working on flat ground only you may not have that problem. i have changed out a few sprockets and shafts.
My area of the country really doesn't get real cold so all I ever saw in them for hydraulic oil was AW46 which as I recall was comparable to 10wt. oil. If you are getting below zero for any amount of time I would think it will have to run some kind of arctic oil and you would have to check with the pump manufacturer to see what is compatible. Most companies I've worked from just started working the machines slow until they started to loosen up. I've also seen in some operating manuals where they recommended running a function over relief for a bit to warm things up. Getting the engine started will probably be more problematic than getting the hydraulic system to function. Those 53 series engines were notoriously cold blooded and a block heater or case loads of ether many times were the only way to coax them to life. Good Luck!
Loggah and John C – The parts you replaced are they difficult to change? Also thanks for the tips and information. I've talked to some guys that have told me the amount the seller is asking for is a bit on the high side. Mostly because if I get lucky at a big equipment sale I can pick up an excavator for close to the same price or for a few thousand more but it'll be 10 or more years newer. Also the parts availability would be better. I’m wondering if some of you guys could tell me what this excavator is worth or what you would pay. I know you haven’t operated this one but give me prices for a few different scenarios, the best case scenario being – machine runs very well and common wear places look good. I don’t need the excavator right away; I could wait even a year or two. So I’m thinking that I’ll to go and test this Drott 50 out and see if all is well. Also go to some local big equipment auctions and see what some newer ones go for. My first instinct was that this one “looked” fairly good, but now I wondering if I be patient, I might be better off. Or should I see if I can get the seller to come down some and buy this one because it looks pretty good? I don’t know… Any opinions please. Thanks Matt
If you sign up at the Ritchie Bros auctions website you can look at the results for previous auctions all around Canada and the US.
Matt, Costly and a pain in the azz to change out, the machine i worked on basically got given away !! $3000 , i think i would look at pretty near anything but a Drott . Don
I found this cute flash cartoon that gives an excavator systems explanation. http://www.kenkenkikki.jp/special/no01/e_index.htm
Drott 50 This message is for Mattsgame. Did you buy the Drott 50. If so do you have any pics of the thumb. i have a Drott 50d and wqould like to put a thumb on it like the one pictured.
I am some one that has owned about 5 Drott machines, in the last 10 years. The only reason I bought any of them was the price, along with the low price comes many hours ow swearing and cussing and spending money. If you can get one that is not completely worn out, it make work out for you. The last Drott I had was a Drott50D, I installed a new 6V53 and it was a good strong machine, except for the undercarriage. They are always weak, slow to walk, real slow to turn, always walk and turn the machine, swing the machine back and forth and see if it clucks/clanks when you change directions. I really would buy a newer machine, a Drott 50 in my area sells for around $8000, if it runs out OK. Its also about a 50,000 lb machine, have you got anything to haul that big of machine? I wouldnt pay anymore than this, I would rather have a newer style machine Good Luch
Hello. I didn't buy the Drott 50. The guy wanted $12000 for it and everyone I talked to said that they wouldn't pay that much for one. I heard that they have some common problems and also that parts can be hard to get. I ended up finding a 1989 CAT 235C for a good price so I went with it, even through it’s a bit on the large side. jhanson1- Sorry, the only pictures I have of the Drott are on this thread. Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I learned a lot of useful information and it helped me make my decision. Thanks for you time Matt