My wife and I have been working on the old 580C since just after thanksgiving, when we bought it. I gotta tell you, she has been there right by my side, the whole way, getting just as dirty and greasy as I have. If you've been following my posts, you'll know that I've been chasing a low backhoe hydraulic pressure all this time. One of the first things done was to try and adjust the primary relief valve in the bucket valve, that feeds the backhoe section via power beyond. This is where all my problems started. Might as well own up to it, I was trying to adjust the loader secondary relief, rather than the primary. Today, I decided to pull the loader valve and the controls, check out why the relief wouldn"t adjust, and see if I could take some slop out of the controls. Once we got the valve cleaned up and on the bench, I discovered my mistake. Valve is back in, nice and clean, as soon as I get the controls rebuilt, we'll start again.
We live & learn TheOldMan ...... She'll be a ball tearer when you get er goin again! (the machine that is!)
TheOldMan, like I believe I have said before here, we all have those moments. Hang in there, at least now you know why the flow test was good and the rest didn't make sense. Dave
You Kid Yourself Old Man 1- TheOldMan ... I am somehow missing the meaning of "DSOW" ( give me a hint please) - if this is an attempt to portray yourself as inept, you could not be farther from the truth ... you have already proven that you have analytical skills sufficient to know when you need to go back and recheck what you have questions about ... the true path the craftsman. 2- I have not seen this kind of interaction and superior backhoe expertise and determination since PHIL & PAPAGOOSE . 3- I am personally interested in rebuilding the spool valve assembly & anything more you can possibly think of ... your pictures are excellent - and you have a great photographer/helper .. (that alone is worth a fortune.. as you are well aware)
DSOW = dumb **** of the week. (if that gets past the censors) I'm going to finish rbldg the loader valve control assy today and reinstall. Then see if I can set the main relief valve using the proper adjustment. If that is successful, I'll set it at 2500psi, and start adjusting the backhoe secondarys. I purchased fittings to enable me to connect 2 pressure gauges to both ports on each valve assy. I'll psot some pix as i go. If that all goes well, go back and readjust main rlief to 2300, hook up the hoses and test it out. Lots of ifs - huh? The best advice I can give you on the b/h valves, is keep it clean, and remember, that thing is heavy!
Everything went great today. Loader valve and controls are finished, and the main relief went to 2500 no problem. Hard to get at to adjust, but hope this will be the last time i have to fool with it. Tomorrow we adjust the secondarys, then figure out where all the hoses go back on. As we took the hoses off, we color coded them with wire ties, and tied a plastic sandwich bag over the open end, so shouldn"t be too hard, just getting them routed back correctly.
That's good progress OldMan - but, keep updating the original thread - good for future reference