Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DT466 Accessory Drive options

KevinF ยท 2015-12-16 12:23

I am putting a 79 GMC7000 body on a 91 IH 4700 chassis which has an 86 DT466 in it. This brings about a number of issues which I think should have a reasonably simple resolution. Issue 1: The guy who did the swap didn't keep the belt drive power steering pump that the engine had. The truck (originally a DT360) being a 91 had a gear drive PS pump. I will need to find and mount a belt drive PS setup. Should be simple but ties into the next issue. Issue 2: I would like to move the IH rad support back a couple inches so that I can put the hood a little further back so I can keep the front tire pretty well centered in the wheel well. My engine has big 4 rib pulleys and the fan spaced out far away from the engine so the fan clears the pulleys. Truck is only using 2 v belts so I could get pulleys that are a couple inches shorter and remove the spacers from the mechanical fan and pull the rad support rearward so I can put my hood where I want it. This should be fairly simple if a DT466 even came equipped with 2 rib pulleys? I can't find any info on this online. Some tractor puller guys are mentioning swapping their old 466s to the serpentine setup of the NGD466 but it sounds like it is expensive. I am looking for the cheap way out. Everyone likes pictures, so here is what I am working with. One pic shows the profile of each truck fender vs tire vs firewall relationship.. Other pic shows that I have the fender-body situation pretty good but the hood could come back a little (1-1.5"). Thanks for any input. It is hard to find clear info online about what exact setups are available but obviously they are many. I only need to run power steering and alternator basically. AC compressor would be nice to add down the road.

Replies0

No replies yet.