Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dt466 help

tomcat7810 ยท 2014-01-12 18:25

all, I have 2007 international dt466. It has 170,000 on it and was inframed 60,000 miles ago. It is blowing coolant out of the overflow tank and it has hard starts, taking a lot of cranks to finally fire up. I have had a few mechanics work on it and they don't know what they are doing. It has a new erg cooler so I know that is not the issue. Any help? Also any recommended mechanics in the Baltimore Maryland area?

Replies5
  1. #102Dmax2014-01-12 18:30

    Sounds like a head gasket. If you find a competent mechanic have them check for exhaust gas in the coolant tank. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

  2. #2tomcat78102014-01-12 19:05

    . Not sure I am going to. Any ideas on how to check for exhaust gases. Also maybe any links to some repair guides. I work on gas motors often especially subaru, so if am kinda handy. Not very sure on international. I would love to put in a new head gasket myself. Any thoughts?

  3. #3Delmer2014-01-12 19:27

    "not sure I'm going to" :falldownlaugh There are "sniffers" that can tell you, but if it's pressurizing and leaking gas as soon as you start it then you don't really have to identify the gas. You're not talking about it blowing coolant out once it gets hot are you? Fill the radiator back up to the CORRECT level and start it up, if the coolant flows out or there are bubbles coming out then you'll be pulling the head. You can do this yourself if you can do it on a Subaru.

  4. #4GregD12014-01-12 20:13

    You can get the little tester for exhaust in coolant tester from NAPA. Pour in the blue fluid and if it turns green there is your exhaust in the coolant proof.

  5. #502Dmax2014-01-12 20:15

    Yep. Dt466's are pretty straightforward. If you do end up pulling the head it would be worth your money to have the head checked at a machine shop. Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2