Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

DT530E to a DT531 help needed

nonpro ยท 2015-07-30 22:00

I have a 98 paystar 5000 with a DT530E engine. I have only found 1 other takeout and 1 rebuilt engine. I have a scrap yard that has a 2002 DT531 but i cannot find any info about engine wiring and if the 02 DT531 harness will work in the place of my DT530e. Anyone know if it will work or if anyone has a adapter for these engines (wiring). Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1GregsHD2015-07-31 16:07

    I've never heard of a DT531, must be a typo. These are a fairly inexpensive engine to inframe, most common failure is leaking liner seals, of course they have heui pump problems and constant oil leaks from the high pressure oil rail. If you don't have a rebuildable core i'd be looking for an older (94 through 97 mainly 94-95) NGD DT466 or DT530 with the inline Bosch injector pump. IMO these were the best of the DT engines and they will bolt right in as they are the same block as the E's. Also you could tune the pump on a lower powered DT466 to easily equal your dt530e. Get rid of that electronic junk!:tong

  2. #2GregsHD2015-07-31 17:10

    Okay I researched a bit on the subject, dt531 is the start of the engine serial number for certain years/power. So a DT530E is a DT530E... I know the earlier year E models had the ECM mounted up by the rocker cover (which is a good place for it) And later years had the ECM mounted down on the rear LH side of the block by the starter (which is a bad place for it) had lots of problems with corroded pins in the ECM connectors and sucked to get to it... Again if it were me i'd go with a NGD mechanical engine. I worked for a Navistar dealer for 15 years and had we had constant problems with the later 00-03 466/530E engines, mostly minor but still headaches.