Well at the time it was Well below Freezing. The battery was like a block of ice. You have one or two cranks worth of battery. Start the engine or go home. ... 2 hours to location. I did get to thinking that with dual flame throwers Most all of the either juice would be burned up on the way in. Basically really hot air warming up the atomized fuel injected inside. It did seem to enjoy it!
Why not? The old Perkins and some others used an electric heating element that when it got hot enough would click open a valve connected to the fuel supply. Mini flamethrower inside the intake manifold.
The Mercedes diesels had the same thing. I know the B series Bell ADTs had a flame start.
I faintly remember seeing some old Cummings with a spark plug in the intake manifold?
Well, I learned something new.
My 416C has a similar cold weather start aid. Heating element , with a line from the injection pump to the intake heater when you crank it , it shoots fuel on the element. Hold button for 30 seconds then crank it over. I had issues with it so started to look , there are lots of these around.
The old Komatsu D155 dozers had a manual fuel pump you put a few strokes on and a spark plug it blew onto. Most of those old monsters needed the fire breathing dragon to get the started on a warm day.