Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Duetz 2.9L

Steve Frazier ยท 2021-04-12 21:37

I'm looking at a JLG man lift with the Duetz 2.9L diesel. Someone has suggested to me this engine is problematic. I don't have any experience with Duetz engines and am reaching out to you all. I have a bulk diesel tank at work but would have to cart gasoline in 5 gallon cans which is why I'm looking at diesels. Can anyone offer their experiences? Thanks!

Replies5
  1. #1John Canfield2021-04-13 18:03

    I have a JLG 450 Series II articulated boom lift with a 3 cylinder Duetz bought at an Iron Planet auction a couple of years ago. I bought it with 1780 hours and put about 50 or 60 hours on it, the Duetz has been reliable and seems to be very fuel efficient. From what I've read, there's two different versions of this engine. One version requires a timing belt replacement at 2000 hours and the other one can go 5000 hours. My Duetz is the latter so I'll never ever put enough hours on it to need a new timing belt. This information about the timing belt is what I remember, better verify. Do a search for Duetz timing belt for more reliable information.

  2. #2MarshallPowerGen2021-04-13 23:18

    That's a liquid cooled Deutz that may have EGR, which are it's two weak points. Dealt with more air/oil cooled Deutz having engine failure than them, but they have their issues and hiccups that need to be plugged into.

  3. #3John Canfield2021-04-14 10:05

    My Deutz is oil cooled and the engine looks like it hasn't been tinkered with.

  4. #4cuttin edge2021-04-14 18:42

    Our Bobcats all have Deutz engines, Air cooled though, not sure what size. They run steady, wide open all the time, no issues. Our Maldin graders both have a liquid cooled Deutz. They are bigger, like 120 hp something like that. The motor went in one, but it had run dry on coolant, and cooked it self. Same deal though, wide open all day. I think deutz is a good enough brand. Didn't Terex rock trucks have them, back when they were green

  5. #5Steve Frazier2021-04-15 22:52

    I haven't looked close enough to tell if this one is air or liquid cooled. I was told the injector pumps go bad and are pretty expensive to repair. The number crunchers shot me down, but I'll try again next year.