Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dumb & Dumber dont hollar just laugh

pinesd3400 ยท 2009-02-15 11:23

Hot Sat. afternoons, beer coolers scrap way up, Pic 1 mad wife > This thing is a 1949 30T Northwest to pick up a 850 GMC & back trailer under it, when it creeped to the left, I stomped the house brake, nothing, I dumped the spool brake, ran out of spool, end of subject, sliding door nailed me, batterys exploded. This all happened 3 feet from the ground. That yellow Fords got big time winch on the front and that & dozer It came right over, sheet metal toast but it started right up. Please dont hit me to hard all you guys she's already cracked me side the head. I know the cranes smarter than me & Im older that it, but now my lesson is, Lawn chair cooler, and my kids now do it cause he drinks Pepsi!!!!

Replies15
  1. #1special tool2009-02-15 11:31

    I predict you will have many friends on this site.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2009-02-15 13:07

    sounds like it came out OK in the end. Times like this, get out the grease gun and lube up the chassis while you can get to it all. Look forward to more stories, but keep the rubber side down next time.

  3. #3willie592009-02-15 13:12

    You got it, tool! But when a guy say's "don't hit me too hard, guys...", man that's tail between the legs and just too tempting! At least he has a traffic cone there to direct traffic around destruction zone, safety first!

  4. #4DigDug2009-02-15 20:46

    Great pics Pinsed. I cant decipher exactly what you are saying , but I like you already. Nice looking older equipment you take good care of it. Hope your not hurt to bad with the crane mishap. :drinkup

  5. #5pinesd34002009-02-16 07:58

    recap well dig dug just hurt pride and twisted iron. Dont worry I am saying at my age Im going to cool it. I said 9th life. Last year 8th life in the hot sun a 11-00-20 blew right off the back of a truck as I just walked by it, Me & son was deaf all day Never heard anything like that. More > life no. 7, help a friend out doing parking lot. Go to plant and get 17ton on binder body+ up, just as the mix started to slide, the linkage blew up from the piston, this is on a LN9000 425hp cat sweet truck, well it came down, cab shield flattened cab blowing all the glass out, cab into dump body, I got smacked with lunch box and truck radio (mounted on roof) They said the front end came three feet of the ground, and that to sounded like that tire explosion. So thats what Im saying. Like troubles following me. And all of that was no fault of mine. So another word of caution dont even get near tires even tubeless in hot weather!! sam

  6. #6willie592009-02-16 21:08

    An 11.00/20 tire blew as you walked by??? I'm sorry for your experience...but that's a mental picture! If it was me, I would not only be deaf for a day, but it would have scared the bejesus out of me! I'd say your eyes popped out like a stomped on bullfrog!

  7. #7john10662009-02-16 21:46

    how old is your Northwest crane and did you scrap it or do you still have it. I didn't know there were any cranes that old around still other than maybe Klangs Boros and our old Koehring

  8. #8td25c2009-02-16 22:04

    Good looken old iron.That northwest crane will be ok.After you set it back up check the fluid levels.That old iron is tough,It will be ok.I halve a 1953 k-12 Insley,love those old cranes.

  9. #9Komatsu 1502009-02-17 07:29

    Just in case you might think a tire can't blow up on it's own this is a poor picture of a tire up against our shop on a summer day.

  10. #10pinesd34002009-02-19 10:18

    John 1066 I see you are a neighbor, well its a 1949 model 30. The truck is a Dart with engine I have no clue. Big flathead 6, two heads the distributor in the middle, air comp. gear driven & that drives water pump. Maybe Walkishaw? upstairs is Buda 6 which runs good. Truck started first turn, but havent tried upstairs cause the battery exploded & ripped some wires out. My dozer & ten wheeler got it back, when it landed the boom snapped at the pins (fixed that) a lot of toasted tin, can be fixed. My son wanted to scrap it but now prices down, I cant afford the oxygen so it sits. I look back to that day, ill bet the wind blew it around when my brake failed. Sam

  11. #11liebherr11602009-02-21 14:37

    At least she went over on the soft side and nobody got slammed ...a few pop's and she's just a bit of battered pride..

  12. #12qball2009-02-21 22:56

    now that's funny stuff. i guess i'm gonna hafta post the pics of the day i folded the boom of a northwest#6 90degrees right.

  13. #13willie592009-02-21 23:08

    Does that mean you created a Northwest with a "right-angle" boom?

  14. #14liebherr11602009-02-22 10:56

    If it was a hydrualic you would get a concrete pump with that ...

  15. #15Crane Op2009-03-07 02:15

    No worries there Liebherr! Things happen to the best of us, plus i remember hearing that the winds were oddly high that day. Infact I remember the news caster saying the gusts were so strong that it could tip a crane...? Glad you came out alright tho, could have been worse.