I have a 2001 Case 75xt skid steer and I'm going to change the hydraulic filter. I will have to top off the hydraulic fluid. My manual says 10w30 oil with some additive. Whats a good oil to use other then the Case brand oil or is Case brand the only type I should use?
vpd, There are no "dumb" questions. That is how we learn and everyone learns as we go. In most cases engine oil will work as a substitute for a "Hydraulic" oil. The difference will be in the additive package, therefore they want you to add the additives. One big problem with engine versus hydraulic can be foaming. Hydraulic oil also has alot of trace elements that help with wear properties of high pressure hydraulic components. For many years we would use 10W30 engine oil for summer hydraulics and 10W for winter and honestly I did not see an increase of hydraulic component failures. That was a fleet of around 150 heavy machines. Long story short to answer your question, just get a decent 10W30 whoever the manufacturer is, it doesn't matter but do put in the additive. You will be ok. Hope this helps, Z
The additive is HTO fluid.
Thanks guys, I picked up some HTO additive from my Case dealer and bought some Shell Rotella 10w30 oil.
You can buy premix from a Case dealer the cost of a pail of premix is less than a pail of oil plus a bottle of HTO additive. Just a thought for next time... cheers
Newbie! Ok, new to the site, for some reason, it wouldn't let me post a question, don't mean to hijack the thread here, but you seem to know your stuff! I recently bought my first CASE and I'm excited, I've always had Bobcat but always been impressed with the bigger Case units....anyway...I picked up an '04 85XT with 1370 hours. I have no idea on what to check for or how as far as chains / gears etc..... I was wondering about changing the oils....and like this idea of getting it from Case like mentioned..... Any tips on how to change these fluids? Any tips on what to look for that might need changing / fixing on the machine, the pins are nice and tight.....I need door and windows! It's going to be cold this winter with no heat! Thanks for any help you guys can offer here, I'm looking for paint and can't find the code...? The only thing wrong with machine is the front is covered with minor concrete splatter, and it DOES NOT WANT TO COME OFF... Thanks Again! 2004 Case 85XT .....Need Door / Windows...!
My skidsteer has concrete splatter on it also, this weekend I used one of those tools with a small vibrating plate, I'll bet that would work good on that stuff.
Congrats on your purchase Neli!! The best advise I could give you would be to get a service manual from Case. It will give you a clear understanding of all service required, recommended fluids, chain adjustments, at recommended service hours, etc. The manuals are impossible to find on the net. I have looked hard and unless someone else knows where to find them electronically, I suggest your dealer. I feel your manual would be a very wise investment but I know they don't give them away. Compared to your machine capital cost they are cheap in that respect. Hope this helps, Z
Service Thanks for the update, saves me time looking, THANK YOU! I will call the dealer......
Here are a few items to keep in mind. The chain tanks require 8qts ea. side of 10W30. Check the chain tension. The rule of thumb is 1" of chain deflection. This is very important! Also double check the drive motor bolts. These are famous for backing off. If your chain tank keeps overfilling, the drive motor seal has went out and the oil is leaking into the tank. There is three safety devices that need to be on before you can start to move, seat bar switch, operator seat switch and the rops switch. If one of these goes out, you will not be able to move. They are really easy to diagnose if one is giving you problems.
I have a 743 and I just changed the hydraulic fluid and used 32 weight fluid, I phoned the dealer and they did not know what to put in it, they only knew of the OEM stuff and could not tell what it was. As they were closing we could not get to them in time we used the 32. Should it be ok?