Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump body on aluminum frame?

5.9rookie · 2020-07-28 14:15

I just got a 1990 379 Pete day cab out of California. My plans were to make a dump truck and pup trailer rig out of it. When I got it shipped home I realized it had an aluminum frame. Does anyone got any pics or ideas of how to mount a steel dump body on aluminum frame? I’m also needing to put a pintle hitch on it to pull a trailer. Or is this just a bad idea with the frame I’ve got?

Replies2
  1. #1Truck Shop2020-07-28 19:49

    PacCar offered heavy spec aluminum frame for dumps but yours is probably a standard over the road spec frame. You could use it but it will show problems with cracking down the road and your truck is now 30 years old and there is probably corrosion on the inside of rails where the crossmembers are attached. Personally I would sell it and find one that has heavy specs with steel frame.

  2. #25.9rookie2020-08-06 09:28

    Thanks Truck Shop, this one has a 10&1/2 inch c channel frame. It’s 1/2 inch thick. I believe this was a transfer dump truck at one time. The end of frame has holes all over, like something bolted on. It looks like a factory day cab. I’ll probly just put a 5th wheel on it and pull end dump or sale it. Unless I can find one to look at. Many thanks