Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump box and flat deck

tootalltimmy · 2009-07-11 00:39

I am wondering about a tandem truck with both flat deck and dump box and change over from one to the other. I might have work for both at different times and was considering buying a dump truck and a removable flat deck. If things were on quick connects it shouldn't take long to change over. Anyone else done this? What are your thoughts? Pictures.

Replies10
  1. #1td25c2009-07-11 18:38

    I had a similar issue with our gmc tandem truck.We needed a flat bed,grain bed,and a dirt& general purpose bed at the time so we built a bed with shorter sides with a good head board and tailgate for hauling dirt with the truck.It bolts down on the side rails of the 18' knapheide grain bed.My buddy Ronnie who is dumping the dirt in the picture insisted that the dirt bed be painted o.d. green and he nicknamed the truck "The fighting seabee" from the old John Wayne movie The fighting seabee's.The second picture is the truck with the grain sides on it.

  2. #2dumptrucker2009-07-12 08:04

    Buy a roll off truck. Then you can use either body and change it in about 5 minutes.

  3. #3tonka2009-07-12 11:56

    yeah what this guy said!:drinkup

  4. #4RocksnRoses2009-07-14 07:51

    We use our tandem as a tipper and a prime mover, so we set our tip body up on a sub-frame, that bolts with four bolts each side, to a sub frame on the chassis of the truck, which has the fifth wheel mounted to it. The tip body fits over the top of the fifth wheel, so it is just a matter of lifting it on or off when needed. The tip body also interchanges with a rock body on our tri-axle pig trailer. It is not the quickest system around, but we are not changing it over every day, either. Two men can take it on or off in about half an hour. Rn’R.

  5. #5tootalltimmy2009-07-14 10:48

    Thanks for the pictures. That is what I was thinking about. In my case I would not need a 5th wheel.

  6. #6bigblueox2009-07-14 17:35

    thats slicker than cow snot!

  7. #7sl34062013-01-17 11:39

    Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, however I'm interested in setting my Peterbilt tractor up with a quick change dump body something similar to the truck from Australia pictured in this thread. I'd like to leave the fifth wheel in place all the time. There are no trucks in my area to pattern after so I'm looking for ideas. Does anyone else have any additional pics or advice on how to do this? Thanks

  8. #8RocksnRoses2013-01-20 06:02

    sl3406, on that truck, the turntable is mounted on it's own sub frame and bolted with plates to the side of the chassis of the truck. The tip body also has it's own sub frame that bolts to plates welded to the turntable sub frame. You have to mount the body high enough, that it will sit down flat on the sub frame and just clears the top of the turntable. We had to cut some small sections out of the body runners, so that they would fit down past the turntable. I hope this helps. RnR.

  9. #9sl34062013-01-20 08:59

    Thanks RnR.

  10. #10Tiny2013-01-20 14:12

    That is a sweet set up