So we have an old TK 14 tag trailer in the field rotting away and we thought it should come back to life as something useful. It's a very well made trailer just don't use it. We have a 14K pan and 14K gooseneck trailer for moving stuff and they both fit the bill. From time to time we need small amounts of material on site such as rip-rap for a small outflow, topsoil for a small area, stone, sand or the occasional haul off of all sorts of items. I'm a packrat so if the GC has any extra material they want to get rid of I'm more than happy to take it off their hands. Also I have a few personal projects in the planning stage that I need to haul some stuff. Winter here in the south means rain and lots of it so it's a perfect time to build when we can't move dirt and give the guys a paycheck. Last Thursday we removed the old decking and screws. Tomorrow we'll get more into the "demo" portion which will be removing the cross members and cutting the beaver tail off. No pics yet but I'll take some. Planning on using an electric over hydraulic hoist probably in the 5 ton range. I'm not settled on brand or style just yet so looking for opinions on hoists. More to follow.
Make sure you get more hoist than you need.I thought about building a dump trailer for a long time but i dont have something that could pull it every place i would go.I have a army trailer thats 10 feet long i thought about puting a hoist under and i have some 4 ton wagon hoist. I also thought about cuting a truck off behind the cab that had a flatbed and hoist and welding on a neck but that would get heavy fast.My brother built one useing a 12 or 14 foot alumium highsided dump box he used 2 cylinders 4" and a electric hoist but it was way under hoist and tall hard to pull in the wind. He ended up scraping it.I ended up geting a F600 with a 14" dump flat bed. When i got this truck i had a pickup that i was building a 8" flat bed to use one of the wagon hoist under. I sold the pickup because after useing the 14" truck the 8" bed would have been to small and made alot more trips but you probale have bigerstuff to use when needed.
Yeah , spotted a couple examples on factory built dump trailers . Notch manufacturing uses the " scissor type hoist " . http://www.notchmfginc.com/hydraulicdumpwagons.html Gatormade just uses two cylinders on each side of the bed . http://www.gatormade.com/dump-trailer-7-x-12-ft-12k-gvw/
I would go scissor hoist and like old Doug said go big it's super easy to overload. Our Carson which is a cheap trailer has it. But it is very strong will just about dump anything. I never weigh it but I'm confident it will dump 6 tons easy. Ours is 14ft and a good length for bulky stuff. But we have 24" sides which are ok for dirt but I had to build 18" extensions for bulky stuff. Two things I would consider is if the battery is under the box put jumper terminals outside the frame rails so you can boost it incase the battery is dieing and you have it loaded. The other is put a small breaker on the charge line from the truck so it trips it before you blow the fuse on the truck. When the battery gets low it will try to draw from the truck and blow the fuse. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CM.... when you get to the tailgate portion of your construction of the tailgate, build good hinges and quality ways of pinning those gates (be it a single, or double gate) back to the side of your trailer. I have seen multiple trailers come into my pits that the side attachment feature failed or the operator failed to secure them with a bent up result. One trailer was on its maiden voyage,, came back for its second lifetime trip and the tailgate was junk. Operator forgot to hook them to the sides, as soon as he started raising, gravity sent the tailgate back, got stuck in the ground and he continued to raise it. Bent the sh*t out of everything past the axle.
Thanks for the replies. Thinking of a 5 ton scissor hoist as the hoist comes ready to mount with pump, I've found them in the $1500 range which isn't that bad. For keeping the battery charged we're thinking of running a hot wire from the battery with a quick connect to charge the battery while it's hooked up to the truck. I've had similar on dump trucks in the past to charge the battery for the hyd. ramps on the trailer. Grandpa I saw that when I rented one from HD. It was a new trailer but the passenger side hinges had already been busted and bubble gummed welded back together. Planning on a two sided tailgate with one or two removable side panels as this trailer will double for other uses. When I can find a used gas powered mixer cheap enough, this trailer will also be used to build inverts on site. Put the mixer on the trailer with the mortar and bricks and head to the job. Also plan on it being a pressure washer rig. I bought two hot water pressure washers at auction several months ago and plan on getting some plastic totes to hold water and strapping the pressure washer down - mobile wash rig.
We use our dump trailer quite a bit in a year and with a good deep cycle battery ,it only needs a charge with a maintainer charger every couple of months. We skipped the hot wire for a good set of 25 foot set of booster cables, then if your moving it with another truck, tractor or skid steer and get a low battery you can use them to get the load off.
Is it common for dump trailers to run the pump to lower the box? The few that I have been around all do and most of them had some sort of battery issue. I have not looked into it but I would think you should be able to plumb it so you don't have to run the pump to lower the box and maybe get an extra load or two out of the battery. Just my $.02
It will make it alot better if this stuff is on skids.
I don't know what you are running for a trailer connector, but the 7 hole connectors have a spot that is exactly for that. It would be just one extra wire depending on the vehicle you're plugging into, as I think that most newer vehicles come either with the wire already connected with no fuse, or put in the back of the plug and just deadended up in the frame/bumper.
Cm If u want the various uses, have u thought about making it a roll off trailer? Then u could switch dump bin to concrete mix, to pressure washer, flat deck, etc I also have an old trailer that is already a dumper. but box is rusting thru and floor sagging . But frame looks great ?? I am thinking cable and rail system... so basically need winch and rails.
That's the plan Doug. Make a skid with fork pockets for the mixer, the pressure washer doesn't need one and the plastic totes come with one built in. I think my '13 F350 has a hot wire to the rear trailer plug (factory) we could use but don't know for sure. Still in the fab stage so we'll tackle that when we get to the wiring. Yes that would be optimum but we're working on a budget and have most of the parts already to make this work. The donor hoist is coming from an old flat bed dump one ton, electric over hydraulic. We've cut it out of the truck and the hoist components and cylinder appear to be in good shape. Worse case is the cylinder will need to be repacked.
Some progress pics - Decking and deck removed, down to bare trailer and axles. One of the traction aides from the beaver tail is leaning against the tire, more on that later. Bones of the old deck on the trailer stand we built from demo scrap salvaged from this job - HeavyEquipmentForums The steel came from the dumpster enclosure and the main building. The old beaver tail. Nothing goes to waste. The old tail board of the beaver tail is going to be used for the hinge point for the new dump trailer. The ramp brackets will become the dump hinge brackets. Moved the axles forward for better weight distribution. Re-packed the hubs while we had it on the rack as well. The donor hoist from the 1 ton dump truck is being fitted into it's new housing on the trailer.
Put the ramps from the Trail King donor on the gooseneck. They are a better made ramp with a double hinge that will eliminate the "speed bump" at the ramp to beaver tail connection on the gooseneck. R2 resting in the background. Traction aides installed on the gooseneck from the Trail King. Gas axed the pivot points on the old ramps in order to make the other side of the dump bed brackets. We're using the cold rolled steel from the Trail King ramps as the pins. We'll keep the rest of the ramps for possible oil change ramps or some other use - who knows?
I like your style Cory!!
NIce build started CM. Perfect example of why we never throw anything away. Looking forward to see it complete.
Thanks my friend, it's coming along nicely. No doubt old iron, so far I haven't had to buy any materials for this project other than welding rods and grinding wheels.
Some progress - Hoist installed and tack welded in. Used the T250 as a hydraulic power source to do the first test lift. Success! The cylinder will need to be re-packed but I expected such. It's around 15 years old and has been sitting for the last 7 years.
Nice work CM making the Trail King great again using old school " getter done " & make it happen .:thumbsup We never throw anything away either as may have a need for it in the future . Built the frame of the bed for the old C 60 out of a house trailer that came off a demo job . We ended up going with treated tongue & grove lumber for the floor and bed sides . Also built a simple lever lock actuated tall gate for dumping & spreading stone . HeavyEquipmentForums
Looks great!! I'm just wondering if you might need a steeper dump angle? We have a lot of sticky material up here that wouldn't slide out too well at that angle.
Looks real good
Right on TD, thanks.:drinkup I've got all sorts of "treasure" from the demo jobs over the years. Plan on building a shop this year with a salvaged metal building and other parts and pieces picked up over the years. Steve we settled on that angle in order to not have too much the head of trailer in front of the hoist, that and we've never made a dump trailer so we'll see how this goes. We've got the sticky clay and other nasty dirt, this trailer will probably not see that type of material. This trailer will mostly be used for hauling small amounts of aggregate, a mortar/concrete mixer with supplies for inverts and hauling bulk trash - the first job will be hauling away the junk and clutter the wife and I have accumulated. Thanks AllDodge.
Is that pic at full dump height? That looks about average for dump angle, more wouldn't hurt though. Might be the angle of the picture, but the axles look a little far back
Looks good cm! I like your trailer rack idea, that would be pretty handy! Sorry if i missed it, but are you going to do a steel floor or wood? We're the same way here, any structural steel never gets scrapped, the only problem is keeping it organized
The floor is steel plate. The trailer rack wasn't my idea, my right hand man came up with that.
Some pics of the finished product. The old hoist from the 1 ton dump works nicely after having the cylinder re-packed. The old tool box was converted to the electric over hydraulic motor box. Made a cover with lock to keep the battery from walking off. Cut a hole in the outside rail for the side boards. The angle is a little on the light side but it's what we had and we'll be the ones using the trailer.
She turned out really nice CM ! I like the safety props & locking battery box idea . The dump trailer will sure make a handy addition on job sites and at home .
Thanks TD, it took a while working on it during jobs but it turned out nice. The maiden voyage was to my house to load up a bunch of crap that I have lying around.
Now don't go gettin crazy with the new dump trailer and throw all the good crap away Will you make a pintle hitch for the D5 & 953 to drag the dump trailer around on jobs ?
Funny you mention that. We did fab up a fork attachment with a pintle hitch we had lying around, complete with a safety chain to attach it to the skid forks just for that reason. It has come in handy moving trailers around the yard as well. My better 1/2 is a thrower awayer, hence the maiden voyage to our house. She's out of town this weekend but she's rip roaring and ready to fill that trailer up with junk around the house. I just gotta make sure my precious "junk" isn't included..