Just bought a 2002 Mack tandem dump with 14 yd bed and 20 ton Eager Beaver pintle hitch trailer. Im in Texas. Need to get this thing registered. I got my DOT numbers yesterday. What plate / weight do I need to register this truck and trailer for for? Tag office is of some help but not much. Right now will be hauling rock, skid, dozer. Plan to get a 30-35k excavator at some point. Bridge law looks like 51k is about all I can get away with on truck if I added correctly. Im pretty sure I cant haul a load of rock and trailer and skid or dozer at same time. Skid is 10k, dozer 19k, trailer 9k being conservative on all. Looks like I have option of Texas truck plates or Combination plates. They couldnt tell me why for either/or but did say truck plates were a little cheaper. Just want to do this right and not get hemmed up with the black and whites. Be WAY cheaper to do this right vs paying TX Dps on the side of the road. Thanks in advance!
I'd not plan on hauling a 30K excavator plus material in the truck. I don't do that, I have a bed full of buckets and hoe pack to move with the machine. I had 80K on it and reduced it to 72K here in WA state. That dropped the registration from 2000 to 1500. I would get some pricing and think about how often and how far you would move multiple things, how much money it would save vs what it will cost. Figure 6K tongue weight with the trailer fully loaded, and subtract that from what you would haul solo. I think you will find that loading a dozer and skid on the trailer will be a large PITA to get balanced. If it is a tilt trailer forget about double hauling. If it is ramps you can give it a try. from the Texas DMV regarding legal loads without permit: Gross - 80,000 pounds maximum Single axle - 20,000 pounds Tandem axle group - 34,000 pounds Triple axle group - 42,000 pounds Quad axle group - 50,000 pounds This is the same I deal with in Washington. I just don't haul rock and the big iron at the same time and reduced the tonnage accordingly.
I'd call the tx dot or a consultant, or maybe you will get luck here with someone in state as all the state laws are different. Here in Kansas you would be a 54k tag as you only tag the weight on the truck (truck + payload + tongue weight)
In pa 18 on trailer axle 18 on drive So 68 and 12 on the steer. 80000 plate But a tandem dump and tag trailer isn't long enough for bridge law. So in pa you could get 73280 or you'd need a 3rd trailer axle to get to 80000 when not meeting bridge lenght. In pa where 73280 is allowed most states will only alow 66000. A tandem truck when speed heavy enough in pa is good to 58400. Heavy highway tax comes in at 55000. May I recommend plating the truck for under that. Assuming your local to your home where your hualing of course
Ive tried calling TX Dot. Called several offices, left messages and not one call back.
Get an empty weight for truck and trailer, add in the machine or machines you plan to haul and that what you need to register for. Make sure of trailer tire capacity. I assume it’s got 17.5’s being a 20 ton, some of the 215’s (if that’s what it has) are a bit lower on capacity and a sharp trooper will catch it. Not generally a big deal. Over 54k (around or near that) you’ll have to pay federal heavy use tax (form 2290). Max on that last time I had to file was $550 it has more than likely gone up. Don’t forget federal annual inspections and Tx loves to bust your chops over mudflaps. I think Tx also does state inspections on trucks and trailers. Not 100% sure on that.
That makes sense....kinda. i just dont know where tongue weight is gona end up with after trailer is on and equipment on trailer. I dont have a hoe right now but rent a Deere 130 from time to time. They charge $350 to haul it local one way. Would depend on what was going on if I benefit more to haul myself or haul material in dump truck or need to haul dozer too. Sounds like maybe tag truck for 54k? Since thats all bridge law will allow me. Then trailer for 50k? I dont know. Im seriously lost on this one.
34 on drive 12 on steer--46K, but what is the steer axle rated for on that Mack? Two axle trailer correct?
Id have to look on steer axle. I think 12k. Yes two axle trailer
I’ve registered trailers in several states and none of them required any kind of weight declaration for the trailer. Most states have cheap trailer registration anyway. Here in OK it’s like $10 a year for a trailer. In regard to tongue weight it really doesn’t matter, unless the truck is loaded with rock you’re not gonna get enough on the truck for it to be over. Maybe with a long trailer and a really concentrated load you could get close but 99% of what you’ll be hauling shouldn’t create an overload there.
Correct as usual, the only real issue will be bridge, but license for 80K you'll be buying a pup soon.
I offen wander if you can even get your proper steer axle weight pulling a tag trailer. Way I look at it the physics of leverage say not the road truck we had that dad flopped we had thought about putting dirt or Stone in the bed if you had to hual a machine very far
Nah. Ill put a belly dump behind my Peterbilt cabover Im building before I do that. Ive got a buddy that runs me bulk belly dump loads. Then I sell small loads out of that.
Kinda what I was thinking of doing. Most time it would be the skid steer that would go out with the rock vs the dozer. So 10k skid and 9k trailer. Should be able to put a load of rock on with that Id think.
For braking yes-It's great to be unloading on a incline with a three axle beaver tag, get to the break over it lifts the drives {and you only set the truck brakes}. Yehaw Aloha.
I'm going to guess your truck is 20000 So that puts you at 39 gross plus your stone of 15 ton? So 69000 idk what you allowable weight via bridge code would be
Reverse Reverse !!!!!!!!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.dps.texas.gov/cve/Publications/bridgeformulaweights.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjZlOaQjdSDAxWyVTABHRPPBvYQFnoECBYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1pwWSvU6bU6U1yjmq4HWSS Give it a study
Don't forget to subtract the tongue weight when you buy the rock. I back off a ton when hauling the mini on the 16K trailer and it is right. My 20 ton tilt has a ton on the pintle empty, and weighs 10K total.
Title shows 22k empty.