I need to change this sight gauge, but there is no access panel in the tank. Are the backing nuts captured perhaps, dont tell me they installed in sheet metal side then welded it all up
Get your new sight gage first. I expect the tank is threaded, and the bolts are drilled banjo bolts. A usb endoscopy for your phone would let you look through the fill hole.
Yeah, i know about the banjo bolting. You think there are threads or captured nuts on the inside? If not, once i remove one of those banjos i cud be screwed. I considered cutting a hole then making a bolted panel, but man what a lot of work PLUS risk of getting swarf in the tank and not being able to clean it out...dammit. Maybe polishing compound until i can see through the plastic enough to see the tank level...
They should be welded into the tank. Loosen one and see if it moves like there’s an unsecured nut on the backside. I doubt it’s something that can fall, I’ve yet to see one where you could lose the nut but there’s a first time for everything.
Everyone of those tanks that ive seen that was factory made had the nuts welded on.
Those are captured nuts.
Agree that they are welded....originally. I loosen the top one first to verify. That way it isn't a guaranteed full on leak.
Buyers is a good place to order new sight glass from.
Is that a factory built tank? It looks very poorly made and the welds could be a lot better. They should fill up the whole corner where the plates make a 90 deg.
Growing up in Peenya, little Ganesha was only 7 years old when he welded that together. It was his first job at the tank factory. That was years ago. He’s building propane BBQ tanks nowadays.
I just purchased one from Amazon. Bolted right up.