Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump Truck to pull my 580 (15,000 lbs)

planecrazzzy ยท 2016-02-06 08:04

The Dump Truck I was trying to bring from AZ blew up before I reached the Summit...( last year ) I've recovered a little $ince then... I'm back to looking for a small dump truck , Looking for a Ford w/ Cummings (Heavy Single axle ) an 8.3 cummings is probably what I need...( M11 is what I'd like ) Just curious... Would the 5.9 work ? ( medium Dump Truck ) Or would the weight of - Truck / Tag / Backhoe - be too much of a strain ? No Mountains here... Just some small hills... Mostly flat... I'm by Bemidji , MN Gotta Fly... JAM

Replies31
  1. #1brickhead2016-02-06 08:32

    Don't bother with the 5.9 for what you have. That tandem would be sweet. What happened?

  2. #2Willie B2016-02-06 08:39

    My tractor is the twin to yours, I lack the 4 in 1 bucket, (I'm jealous). I have a hydraulic thumb. The extend a hoe adds 2005 lbs with counter weight, and heavier tires. Mine weighs 16,500 actual scale weight. My solution is a 1976 Chevy C65. GVWR 27500. This is CDL in VT. I initially paid $3700 for the 14' rack dump. It is plenty big enough for the triaxle Economy 9 ton trailer. With a gas 427 Chevy truck engine it is a slow process going up any steep hill. I would not recommend a gas truck unless you live where it's flat. Air brakes are a must! Mine has electric trailer brakes. VT is where the glaciers went to melt. Average mountains are 3000 feet up. Roads wind to keep them under a given grade %. From home to the next town is a climb over and down 2800 feet of elevation both up, and down, & 14 miles. For me, the biggest diesel I could get would make sense. I've put a lot of work in the Chevy, I'll keep it.

  3. #3planecrazzzy2016-02-06 17:23

    Here's the thread on that Truck adventure... HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4planecrazzzy2016-02-06 17:25

    Yeah... I'm looking for a Diesel and Air Brakes... Kind of a Heavy Single axle...

  5. #5Mark132016-02-07 14:29

    Do you need the dump truck or are you just looking at the dump truck as the tow vehicle? If you're just looking at a dump truck for a tow vehicle you can probably get by with a 1 ton pickup or larger and a gooseneck trailer.

  6. #6planecrazzzy2016-02-07 17:23

    I mostly want to move my Backhoe... and I want to be able to move dirt on site and Run for Gravel or Sand Plus this set-up will move our Skid Loader too.

  7. #7repowerguy2016-02-07 20:29

    Look for a ex- motor freight tractor. They generally have 300 ish horse motors 12k fronts and 23k rears with enough frame for a 9' dump bed. I've made dumps out of these and it is work, but you end up with a stout truck when you are done.

  8. #8planecrazzzy2016-02-08 07:02

    If I didn't already have so many projects... That's something I'd consider... Getting a tractor and converting would be the cheapest way to go...

  9. #9planecrazzzy2016-06-28 21:23

    Minimum Rust for these parts Well... I drove two hours to North Dakota... Test drove a 1994 L9000 w/L-10 , w/ Spicer 10 speed It was whining like the PTO was engaged... Found out the clutch fan was froze.. The place is fixing the few repairs... ( I crawled under and over that truck ) It's a BIG little truck... Flatbed that Dumps... It'll work for the Price. Rust is Minimum... The engine is 300hp and runs great... The tranny was shifting good too... It should be even better since they fixed the Air shift Button I'm driving back there Thursday to test drive it again... and Buy it. Gotta Fly... JAM

  10. #10The Peej2016-06-29 07:01

    you can make any truck work for you if the foundation is good. It's a little concerning that they took the time to paint the rims and tank but didn't notice the clutch fan was frozen. The hoist looks a little light, OK for sliding a load of lumber off but wont lift a load of gravel or sand. also is it setup with air to the rear for towing a trailer? It may be the perfect truck for you I'm just pointing out a few things i see.

  11. #11planecrazzzy2016-06-29 07:19

    This is more or less what I ended up with.... I had been overlooking this truck for quite a while.... But when I started looking at something to covert... I asked about this one more... Holy Crap... it was already converted... But they never showed pictures with the bed UP.... at that point... The price looked VERY GOOD... Like you stated... I end up with a STOUT truck.... a BIG little truck and you nailed the ponies.... 300.... You nailed front and rear axle weights too...(3300GVW) It's got a 16' bed... and it doesn't overhang the Pintle hook too much... I have to get some glad hands back there... The truck was cleaned up for selling... I was just cautious it wasn't lipstick on a Pig. . Gotta Fly...

  12. #12planecrazzzy2016-06-29 07:27

    The Tank isn't painted... it's aluminum Actually... The Passenger side fuel tank is a Dummy... It has no bottom it's a step and a battery box. I'll test the Hoist lifting capacity here at home... I'll load it up and try it. I'll load it in front more... Try it again... I'll get a feel for what it can do. at least the pump works off PTO.... not an elec set up. I bet it'll handle it just fine. Rims ?... Your gonna get that type of "Clean-up" from a dealer... as I said... The buyer needs to be cautious of "Lipstick on a Pig" . Gotta Fly...

  13. #13repowerguy2016-06-29 17:45

    Take a close look at the frame splice, hopefully it was made in the front spring hanger or behind it. If it is anywhere else and it isn't doubled, beware.

  14. #14planecrazzzy2016-06-29 18:54

    Yes... The splices are CRAP.... But it will make it home. I weld... I will dig out the part where they GOOBERED it... Finish welding it right... Also the plate they used as overlap was CRAP... I've done better FIELD REPAIRS After I make sure it's welded right... I will get good plates , and BOLT them to the frame in existing holes... I pointed out the crappy welds to the salesman , cause I planned on using it to lower the price. I just hope it doesn't Dog Walk...( I don't notice it so far ) Myself.. I put Punch Marks in place first...(bench mark) I'm betting they didn't , But I can check that with other measurements. Gotta Fly... JAM

  15. #15repowerguy2016-06-29 20:30

    A properly made joint (scarf or cleft), carefully placed in a good spot really doesn't need a fish plate. Also a fish plate can draw unwanted attention from the roadside inspectors...

  16. #16planecrazzzy2016-06-30 05:54

    Yes, I know Fish plating , Fish mouth Usually that is welded, and stress's are spread out. That's not what I'm saying... I won't weld the reinforcing Plates over the Splice. I will sandwich the splice , and Bolting them with the many holes already in that area. Basically as I was looking at it... I made the repair in my head. Believe me... The existing repair is what would FLAG an inspector. The examples are from a plane I'm building... The control horns with the Fish mouth are for the Flaps. They have more pressure on them than the Aileron control horns But I weld heavy metal too. I got this ...

  17. #17norite2016-06-30 21:19

    Nice work, obviously you know how to weld...awesome!

  18. #18Willie B2016-06-30 22:42

    As book ends go I consider this excessive. Willie

  19. #19planecrazzzy2016-07-01 00:55

    Thanks guys, Some times people would ask..."What's That" for what ever welding project. I'd say , I don't know what it "is"... But I know what it "Does" It Goes out the Door... As in... "Per Print" . Gotta Fly... JAM PS I bought the truck and it's home... I have a little things to do to it... Plan on brackets to hold side boards... and other fix up repairs. It hauled azz... I had to keep the beast tamed down...

  20. #20planecrazzzy2016-07-01 07:58

    PART$ Source ? I'm thinking I need a new thread for this question... But I'll give it a shot Here... I'm looking for different links to find Parts for the L9000 Cab parts , Brakes , Passenger seat ( Air Ride?) In these days , it doesn't need to be near me ( By Bemidji MN ) I might look into some of the places I order from for my Case Backhoe But there SHOULD be a good source out there for a 1994 Ford L9000 Just haven't found them yet. The Truck has a lot of Brake pad... But it's for future need Hopefully I'll be driving it enough to WEAR OUT THE BRAKES... . Gotta Fly... JAM

  21. #21Birken Vogt2016-07-01 10:31

    Brakes should be any truck brake shop, probably Meritor parts similar to what they use today. Last air ride seat we bought for an L8000 we just got at the Pete dealer's front room, bought the cheapest one they had and it bolted right in. The seats have all the holes for common manufacturers. It was for the driver side though. Cab parts I found more difficult. Back in the early 2000s I had a friend at the local Ford car dealer who would grudgingly look up and order Ford truck parts but he was not supposed to I think? These days he moved away, that dealer closed and I just don't know. Is there a trucking type business nearby who is/was into Fords you could ask?

  22. #22repowerguy2016-07-01 11:02

    Good luck finding Ford specific cab parts, the ones still available you will have to get from Western Star or Freightliner. If scrounging is more your style, hit up the local ready mix plants, Fords were the stuff 25 years ago.

  23. #23Labparamour2016-07-01 12:41

    Well, I'll be watching this thread...for the parts sources and the welding- awesome looking welds!! I have an '82 L7000. I was wondering how an air ride seat would work. It seems the L's have a short seat-to-pedals distance...makes for awkward foot angle. DB

  24. #24planecrazzzy2016-07-01 16:12

    I was driving an Old Ford 9000 concrete truck...(Knife River) I'm going to be talking to the kid who does maintenance and repairs... But that's a good point about getting some parts... The concrete truck I drove didn't have a passenger seat either... But he might also have a good idea for where parts are bought in these parts... Yes.. The peddle distance was SHORT , and I'm tall... Luckily , the driving I'll be doing would only be a few hours... and long breaks between. Thanks for the replies guys... I'm out going over little things on the Truck... Next I'll go around with some zip ties to secure some loose hanging wires and support hoses that look like they might rub... Air cleaner LOOKED clean... Til I blew it out... and blew it out.... and blew it out... Still gotta grease the drive train and anything else... But I'll wait til it gets cooler so I can put overalls on... Creeper don't roll on crushed concrete. . I put a metal folding chair on the passenger side... If I add a seat belt... is it legal ??? . Gotta Fly... JAM

  25. #25hetkind2016-07-01 19:47

    As for brake linings, almost every town has a clutch and brake lining shop, and bulk rivit lining is available... Howard

  26. #26Jonas3022016-07-01 22:40

    Boyer Ford in Minneapolis is your first call with that truck believe it or not some stuff is cheaper there than aftermarket same for the brake shoes or napa, wheelco, catco ect they will be a stock item just bring an old one with

  27. #27planecrazzzy2016-07-04 16:51

    Thanks... I know where that place is at... Nothing in the Bemidji Area ? I'm still looking. But we make trips to Minneapolis pretty steady As I go over the truck more... Cleaned the battery connections and greased them... Putting Ny-ties on wiring or tubing that'll keep them from rubbing... Made a pin for the rear spring...Looked up the hoist ( Harsh ) and making a List of other repairs or maintenance. I noticed the hood had a number written on it like a Junk yard... Hmmm, The Firewall had the same number... As I look it over I notice concrete splatter ( Lightly ) It has a New radiator... Makes me wonder if it was pieced together ?... The steering is tight for 22 yrs old... I think it was a GOOD job whoever did it... The Frame has VERY minimum rust... The cab, minimum rust for this area and age. A few trucking friends were over yesterday... They were impressed... It's a nice little truck. It probably would have sold a long time ago if the dealer had a picture of the bed dumping... They said 300hp... Looking at the Engine plate it sez 310hp Driving it is like Bobtailing... It picks up and hauls azz... I found a TK18 , But I'll need to do a little saving... I thought the price was high at $6,900 But after searching , Nothing Local cheaper...and even though I'd rather have air brakes... The Trail King (elec) looks like it'll be fine behind the Big little truck. . Finally... One step closer to dragging my Backhoe around, or the skid loader...:usa . Gotta Fly... JAM

  28. #28norite2016-07-05 20:47

    Electric brakes are for hyd. brake trucks, since you have air on the truck I think you would regret not getting an air brake trailer.

  29. #29Willie B2016-07-05 21:24

    You can spend 7000 in one lump, or a lot of little lumps. Either way a good trailer costs $7000. I have air brakes, and electric trailer brakes. I'm very happy with their performance. I do have to adjust for load. If I haul empty with brakes turned up it flat spots the tires. I wonder if air brakes are more common on twenty ton and heavier trailers. Willie

  30. #30planecrazzzy2016-07-06 07:07

    Good point... Now that you mention it... It does seem to be the Cut-off point between TK18 and TK20 I'll have to pay closer attention... I really do want Air Brakes. Too bad I had to have the Tag I bought hauled to Richie bros in Vegas... I got fleeced when it sold... But I had no choice. Thanks , Gotta Fly...

  31. #31planecrazzzy2016-07-07 07:04

    Truck Parts... OK... Some were waiting for Truck Parts Sources... I have some local ones... But thought I'd share this one... It's got a wide range... Maybe there is one by you... If YOU have a source LIKE this one... Pleeeze share it ... . http://www.vanderhaags.com/locations.php/ VanderHaag's Locations Spencer 3809 4th Ave W View Location Des Moines Des Moines 4444 Delaware View Location Sioux Falls Sioux Falls 1423 E 54th St N View Location Council Bluffs Council Bluffs 50200 189th St View Location Kansas City Kansas City 7501 E US Hwy 40 View Location Winamac Winamac 495 E 150 South View Location