Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dump truck trailer hitch

JRsEquipment ยท 2016-12-19 17:28

Does anyone have an estimated cost to have a hitch plate welded on the back of a dump truck to pull a trailer? How about installing the air system for the trailer? Wiring? Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1movindirt2016-12-19 20:00

    What size hitch? You pulling 5 tons or 25?

  2. #2JRsEquipment2016-12-19 21:19

    I believe its a 30Ton hitch to pull a 110 John Deere excavator

  3. #3crane operator2016-12-20 08:28

    It will make a big difference on the air system and wiring, on what kind of truck you have. If its a over the road tractor that's been converted to a dump truck, most of the plumbing will be there. If it was originally built as a dump truck/ straight truck, you will have a lot more work to do.

  4. #4JRsEquipment2016-12-20 10:34

    New dump truck, nothing is there.

  5. #5movindirt2016-12-21 19:42

    Make and model of the truck? If its *brand* new then I would just ask the dealer for a price, that way you could see if its worth the time to do it yourself or not.

  6. #6Junkyard2016-12-21 19:52

    The ones I've done have run from $2,000-$5,000 depending on how heavy the hitch is etc. If it was ordered to be a dump truck and spec'd properly it will have A&E EOF. If not, it's not horrible to add just takes time to do it nice and make it look factory. If nothing is there I'd budget $3,500-$4,000 to be on the safe side. I don't know what shops charge down there.

  7. #7JRsEquipment2016-12-21 22:12

    Thanks! That helped a lot. I own a repair shop and did one of these. We did a really nice job relocating all the original lights, basically made a harness to plug into the original harness, soldered all the wires, installed the dual valve in the dash and the complete air system all the way to the glad hands. I just have way to many man hours in this job and dont think I could have done it with any less time. One of the issues was they brought me a 1in plate instead of 3/4. THAT took a lot more cutting/welding than expected.

  8. #8Wytruckwrench2016-12-22 10:48

    I agree with junkyard. I do a few of these a year. I use 1" plate and holland hitches. $3000.00 to $7000.00, depending on the air system and if I'm making the dump box quick attach.