Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

dump truck veterans

chico ยท 2008-04-19 15:05

When I put the tag wheel down with a full load of dirt at what psi should that tag wheel be driving on (load air suspension). :beatsme

Replies7
  1. #1RonG2008-04-19 15:30

    You might have to experiment a little at the scalehouse to see what pressure is needed to distribute the weight to your best advantage so that you get as close as possible to the maximum allowed loadings on each axle and not be overweight in case you get stopped and still be able to carry the maximum load that the truck is capable of legally. I would not be afraid to ask for help from other drivers with similar rigs and wheelbases.Ron G

  2. #2chico2008-04-19 15:39

    Thanks Ron G. for your help.

  3. #302Dmax2008-04-19 15:51

    depends on what suspension setup you have and what size the airbags are. I'm with RonG. just experiment a little on a scale to get the right amount of weight on that axle/ off your other axles

  4. #4chico2008-04-19 22:36

    Thanks 02Dmax I guess I will try the scale

  5. #5Bob Horrell2008-04-19 23:15

    I set mine at 60psi. If I put too much pressure, I can cause the front end to be light enough that it doesn't want to steer. As said before, the best way is to check it on a scale when loaded, if you are ever near one. Otherwise, try about 60psi, and see how it feels. If I am working off road, and overloaded, I will use 70 to 80 psi.

  6. #6Bob Horrell2008-04-19 23:22

    I just saw the picture or your Peterbilt on the "new member thread" and see that your drop axle is further back than mine. I would guess that you should try 70 - 80psi and see how that feels.

  7. #7chico2008-04-20 19:45

    Thanks Bob Horrell I will try that and see how it feels