Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dust Control Equipment

Josh702 ยท 2020-09-17 15:36

Hello, I'm a first time owner/builder for a custom home on 1 acre in the Las Vegas area. I have taken a dust class to get our dust permit. Can anyone make a suggestion on a good hose / spray setup I can buy to manage dust on our site during the entire period of construction? We have a fire hydrant on one corner of the lot and our future water main already stubbed in at another corner of the lot. The city has said we can get a plumber to rig a hose bib off our future water main supply for water during construction. The grading company will have their own dust mitigation system and we will put some gravel down for track out. I'm looking for specific suggestion of brands or materials of hoses or spray nozzels I can buy to keep the dust down myself for the rest of the time. Thanks!

Replies12
  1. #1Bls repair2020-09-17 15:46

    Price a water truck from a rental company.

  2. #2AzIron2020-09-17 18:39

    Depends on what you want some inch 1/2 fire hose would do everything you need you could set up about 200 feet and a nozzle for about 600 or 700 bucks

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-09-18 08:52

    I obtained a few lengths of two inch fire hose from the local fire dept for free. They send their hoses out to be tested and many times don't pass. Most only have a small fray on the outer canvas covering. An adjustable plastic fire hose nozzle will spray water an unbelievable distance.

  4. #4Welder Dave2020-09-18 13:10

    There's a place here that sells used fire hose. Apparently if the hose has any black marks or even slight damage from forest fires etc. it can't be re-used by fire fighters. A lot times the damage is very minimal and the hose is great for personal use. If you can get it free from the fire department or forestry service is even better. I prefer a tapered spray nozzle over an adjustable fire nozzle. I find they spray further and don't get plugged up if there's any debris in the water supply. Depends on how you need to spray the water (fan spray or jet) and how far.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2020-09-18 13:46

    Any idea the name of the place been hunting a few lenghts

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-09-18 13:55

    It was a place that sold high pressure fire fighting pumps and did hose testing. Google used fire hose in your area.

  7. #7Josh7022020-09-20 01:07

    @Bls repair . I was trying to avoid renting a water truck for the duration of the build. I can price it but I think I would rather go the fire hose route as we have the 2 sources of water on the lot. @AvIron, This is what I'm thinking. are you recommending 1 - 1/2 inch Hose? I just found two brand new hundred footers on offerUp but they're 2 - 1/2 inch. Do you think this will be too much or harder to handle? I just found a deal on two x 100 foot lengths of 2-1/2. Do you think 2-1/2 inch hose will be more than needed to keep the lot damp for the duration? Don't need to be wresting with this thing for months.... and the lot is 135' x almost 300' ..........so 200' of hose will get me 2/3 of the way down the lot and the range on the nozzle should get me a little ways further. Thanks for the comments!

  8. #8AzIron2020-09-20 09:25

    21/2 inch is heavy to drag and hold especially by yourself and if you have good water pressure it's got more power to push you around 11/2inch is absolutely plenty has good volume and is a little easier to handle by yourself

  9. #9Tinkerer2020-09-20 09:35

    City water main pressure shouldn't be any problem in regards to handling the hose. I had a 2 inch hose on a 3 inch pump and had no problem. I like the 2 inch because of the volume it would transfer. I would not want to drag around anything bigger.

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-09-20 10:21

    Most nozzles restrict the flow so 2" or 1-1/2" wont make any difference as far as volume. 1-1/2" is way easier to drag around.

  11. #11DMiller2020-09-20 10:54

    2 1/2" fire hose with a nozzle is like trying to ground control a jet airplane manhandling the tail wheel at full throttle, we would Loop a 2 1/2" in a rough 6-10' circle and sit on the line to make ANY form of control on it roughly 150gpm at 100psig. Inch and a half is tough enough at full flow where nozzles are designed for 90gpm at 100psig water, can reduce that down some but not enough to where either hose size is not fatigue setting to handle long duration. Working the bail can reduce some fatigue but a chance bump and t is often off to the races trying to shut them off. Install a separate isolation valve At the Hydrant so do not have to shut the hydrant down for a loose or blown hose, SOP for Fire Departments. Hydrants need to be Full OPEN or Full CLOSED there is a bleed port at bottom that will erode under the line if do not do this. Port is Only closed when hydrant full open to allow hydrant to drain off when the hydrant is fully closed.

  12. #12Josh7022020-09-20 18:06

    Thank you!! This is what I needed to know.... and as luck would have it that seller with the hose on offer up got back to me and their hoses are actually 1 1/2". I'm going to jump on it!! Two x 100' unused 1 1/2" hoses from a warehouse system with a nozzle for $100!! Im on my way! Thanks guys!