In past I've always purchased all my offroad fuel at one of 2 places in town, put it in my bulk tank and off we go. Recently we've been working pretty farm from town out in a rural community. All 3 places that I've purchased it out here have riduculed me (even called the police once) that dyed is just for farmers and cannot purchase it for construction without a tax exempt form. I argued up and down that it doesn't matter so long as it's not in the road I can put it in whatever I want. Never ran into this in the past, granted I have my usual places, and was just wondering if that's true or if these county folk are off their rocker?
as far as I know that is incorrect. Dyed is to sHow there In no road taxes paid on the fuel
In Texas, you have to show the fuel seller a copy of your "permit", for them to legally sell you red, (no tax), diesel. I always carry a copy in each my trucks, so if we buy where a gas station does not know us, we can show them our form.
Some people call it "Farm Diesel" when it is actually "off road diesel" and not subject to the highway tax. We buy it all the time for use in our landfill equipment. The hard problem is convincing employees that they must go to town and purchase "highway diesel" for our trucks that run the highways.:Banghead
I run my boat on dyed "off road" diesel and have for years. Rick
They may have changed the laws here recently and maybe I just never knew because I always buy from the same people and they know what I'm doing with it. The kicker is at one of the stations they told me the red dye was one price for farmers and a different price for construction equipment. The construction price was barely below road fuel price.
Road fuel gets a laundry list of taxes added to it, the federal gets dropped off for off road, but it varies as to whether your state, county, city, public transportation district, ad nauseum tax it or not.
In Minnesota offroad(dyed fuel) goes in anything not used on the highway. Farm equip, logging equip, Const. equip, diesel lawnmowers. In our truck cranes if only one fuel tank we use road fuel because of road travel. We have one with a seperate tank for the upper and that one gets offroad in the upper. Home heating is the same as offroad but has sales tax added to it.
Here in NZ we get taxed for our diesel on road or offroad
Here in ks, dyed non farm use, anything for hire, you are suppose to pay sales tax. More government greed at work
This is a first one for me. Off-road diesel in Alabama is off-road diesel to be used in anything that doesn't require a tag or registration to operate legally. There is no differentiation between farm and commercial use that I know of. The local/state taxes on diesel vary from state to state, here we don't pay the Fed tax on off-road diesel. On a side note, one time I was at the station I get off-road from time to time and there was a VW diesel bug pulled up to the off-road tank. They pumped $12 and change into it. I laughed my ass off on the inside as what did they save $2 bucks or less? Of course they wouldn't be stopped by the revenue department like a diesel pickup would.
Im in KS too. I kind of suspected that. At any rate this job is a tax exempt, USDA job. So i bought clear and made them adjust the rate just to be ohnry.
I got in a yelling match with an old man that stopped for gas while filling the transfer tank on the service truck. He was convinced that not only is dyed fuel farm use only, custom harvesting is not farm use. I started out by pointing out the pump said offroad use only and it went downhill from there. Different station about 15 miles away had the pumps mislabeled.
Never ceases to amaze me the people out there that can't mind their own business.
Some stations around here won't put off road on the pumps. One told me it is not legal to do so, but other stations do have it at pumps, so they are clearly wrong. The ones that won't put it on pumps you have to catch the tanker man at about 5am to fill up your drums. If you use enough fuel they'll bring it to you; I don't remember the cutoff but we don't meet it. The places that have offroad on the pumps are sometimes more expensive than stations selling on road fuel, so I usually buy what's convenient. ETA: My understanding is that you just can't have red fuel in the truck tank. If you get caught in an inspection you are going to have a bad day.
So this seems to be a Kansas issue with regard to farmers vs construction. At the moment on road is $2.81, off road is $2.01-even less than the tax difference (about $.50?). Not many off road pumps around though.
Thats one thing that surprised me when I spent a month in NZ.
The only difference is the lack of sales tax for farm use. When a farmer buys fuel if bulk (ie a tank on the farm) he doesn't pay sales tax. If it comes out of a gas station pump, you are already paying sales tax.