Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dynahoe Transmission “Forward Reverse Unit” Help!

dynahoedude ยท 2019-02-20 14:49

Hi - I am new to the site and need some help. I have a 1959 Eric Bucyrus Dynahoe Model A I purchased in Fall 2018. Everything was working correctly for some time. All of a sudden the machine grinds in reverse. It moves forward without issue. My first course of action is to top off all transmission fluids. I've topped off the fill located near the brakes, but it turns out there are two places to top off transmission. There is the "forward reverse unit" which holds the majority of the transmission fluid (the other one by the brakes do not need much); I believe it's around nine quarts. I CANNOT LOCATE THE FILL LOCATION FOR THE FORWARD REVERSE UNIT. The manual is no help. Any thoughts or directions on how to move forward would be greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1BillG2019-02-20 16:27

    If it still has the Borg Warner unit in it, there are two pipe plugs one higher than the other on the input side near the bottom. With the engine running the level should be at the lower edge of the top plug. Fill it through the same plug.

  2. #2dynahoedude2019-02-20 16:34

    Thanks, BillG! I'll check it out. I appreciate the input

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-02-21 21:46

    Who is Eric Bucyrus???

  4. #4Dynajoke2020-05-04 15:30

    Is there a oil filter for the forward/reverse unit?