Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Earthworks Estimating

KyleM ยท 2013-07-10 21:37

What has your experience been with earthworks estimating software? I'm currently using Trimble's Business Center to generate my volumes, cut/fill maps and site mass hauls however am looking to go to the next level. Does anyone have recommendations of software to use to estimate the time that it will take to complete earthworks jobs? Cheers!

Replies8
  1. #1SoftEarth2013-08-16 17:48

    Don't know if you've already seen it, but it sounds like you're looking for something like "Trackwork 4D" ... a description of the product is available at http://www.agtek.com/trackwork4d.asp

  2. #2KyleM2013-08-19 19:09

    Thanks softearth. I think this is the type of software I'm looking for. Have already started using a mix of TBC and Microsoft Project but am going to look into this software for future projects. Regards,

  3. #3Bulldog7772014-10-07 07:43

    Have a look at the CivilWorks App, I use it for a mix of on site calculations, remote management and calculating quantities while estimating

  4. #4ChilliProject2014-10-16 02:49

    Sorry, I don't know of any software that helps calculate the time for earthworks. If you need one that calculates the earthworks cost per cubic meter/cubic yard then this Earthworks calculator app https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/earthworks-calculator/id921837537?mt=8 might help. It estimates from first principles - based on things excavator bucket size, haul distance, bucket cycle time etc.

  5. #5st0042015-02-10 19:15

    Kyle, I realize that this thread may be dated, but thought I would first try following up here than starting a new thread. Were you able to get a good answer to your question? I am faced with a similar requirement and was wondering if you had any additional insight? Thanks!

  6. #6Bliz2015-02-10 19:43

    Kyle, I have been struggling with the same issues as you for some time. The cut/fill program actually produced by the "Earthworks" company is a mid-level program. I almost bought it until I talked to a friend whose company bought it, used it for a couple years, and put on the shelf because it wouldn't do all they needed. They settled on Carlson Take-Off. I just purchased Carlson myself. You pay more, but it is top-notch with real 24 hour support. On your other question, I spent weeks looking for a good estimating software at a reasonable cost. Some programs can run up to 50K, but that was way out of my league. I ended up deciding on Construction Link software. It has been developed primarily for the site contractor, by a site contractor. It has been in development for 30 years and comes with a cost of $3,000.00. My search for this type of software was much harder than take-off products. You can get free demo from them, but make sure you do an on-line meeting or you'll be a little lost on how it all works. I am taking a class on it next week in NY. Good luck in your search. Let us know how you make out.

  7. #7st0042015-02-10 20:02

    Bliz, appreciate the quick response, thanks for the recommendations!

  8. #8Bliz2015-02-14 10:59

    st004, You're welcome. Let us know what you decide on. I am always looking at estimating software. You can learn a lot by evaluating some of these programs, even if you don't buy them.