Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Eaton rear axle swap

Hines76 ยท 2016-05-11 17:55

Hello everyone. My boss and I are looking to swap out the Eaton 15040s in his 1984 GMC 6000, for a Eaton 22221 2speed out of a 1983 GMC 7000. Both have disc brakes but I have not seen the 2 speed yet, and i know nothing about them haha. Our dump truck has 10 lug/ 20 inch wheels. Will these axles swap, besides going from single to 2 speed, or will we need to change hubs? We would like to keep our wheels if the other axle is different. Thanks in advance!

Replies4
  1. #1OFF2016-05-11 18:06

    I did one of these swaps in a gravel truck back in the 80's. Only snag was the 2 speed axle had larger diameter tubes so I had to get new U-bolts and plates to match. As far as I remember I re-used the brakes, drums, and Dayton wheels. 2-speed was electric shift, just added a single wire running back, no big deal. I don't think there was a problem with driveshaft yokes either, but that's something to check.

  2. #2Hines762016-05-11 19:33

    Thank you. I wouldn't have thought of the axle tube difference. Our truck doesn't have Daytons on it, but i just found out that the 22221 he wants to buy has 10 hole buds on it. So they should be the same lug pattern as our 10 hole 20s?

  3. #3OFF2016-05-11 20:48

    Yes, all 10 hole buds are the same pattern. Good luck

  4. #4Hines762016-05-11 21:33

    Good deal. Thanks again!