Hey all, New to the site and looking for some input on my excavator. I saw and older post almost exactly the same and the members suggested I start a new thread! Anyways is a 160blc with a d6d engine with about 9k hours. Runs great has plenty of power I have no complaints but this d#%^ smoke! I’ve inspected the turbo, found some oil in the pipes so I changed that. Nothing I’ve tested and replaced all Injectors which were bad, hoping that was the problem it was not. It might have gotten rid of the white/grey haze but still excessive smoke. Air cleaner is clean but it’s hard when it’s pulling the smoke right back in all the time. I think it’s unburnt fuel as the oil level never changes! Coolant goes down a bit over the course of the month but not much I will post a serial number later, please and thanks for the advice!
Forgot to say it’s a Volvo
Since you've replaced the injectors, did you index them properly? There are dimples or dots on one side of the injector. That is to tell you which side goes towards the rocker arms. If they're installed backwards they'll smoke like mad and eventually wash out the rings on that side. If you've installed them correctly, I'd be checking all my boost pipes and the charged air cooler. If you have a gauge, check manifold pressure under load. Is your turbo in good order, on both sides? Good luck, let us know what you come up with.
@funwithfuel thanks for the reply! Sorry I never got back to you after all these months lol! I have been running the machine and it’s still that same but I have so much work to get done I haven’t had a chance to look at it. That being said yes all injectors were index correctly, I installed a new turbo with injectors. I’ve been researching and I’m going to check the charge pipes but what I read sounds like low boost? Maybe drain inter cooler or boost leak?
The boost pipe joint immediately out of the turbo will get torn or pulled from the flange clamp if the pipe is not properly secured down by the alternator. Good luck
just wanted to touch base with you all. sent the machine to the volvo dealer this summer, found the problem to be 5 of the 6 the injectors were installed 180 degrees out causing the issue! dont know how they got this way as we installed them the way they came out..... but machine runs perfect with no spec of black smoke! fixed
Good info! Thanks for the follow-up.