Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ecology Drain Mechanism installed backward?

KKaralus ยท 2019-11-20 16:57

This is what I am getting from a repair shop on a D6M Dozer that went in for "Remove Drain Plug on transmission and change oil and filter". Is it even possible to put the drain mechanism in backward? We are being charge a large amount because they has to drill the seal washer and the T handle and spring flew up into the transmission. Just wanting to see if this is legitimate? VIN# 09ZM01017

Replies7
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-11-20 19:09

    Unless it was installed from the inside out, I think someone's full of **** .

  2. #2Vetech632019-11-20 19:40

    Did they give you the Vaseline option?

  3. #3kshansen2019-11-20 20:07

    Okay here is a picture of the "Ecology Drain Valve". The part in green is the "normal" drain plug that you remove and then screw in the pipe nipple or what ever tool you use to open the valve by pushing up on the grey parts to open the valve. Some of the green parts I have come across take a 3/8 inch square drive and can be a bitch to get out. The easier ones have 1/2 inch square drive that works much better. On the ones with the, in my opinion "undersized 3/8 drive" if they are not coming out easy there are two things that can be done to remove the plug. First is a careful application of an air chisel to encourage it to move and then reinstall not quite as tight. "Been there done that" several times! Second method for removing the plug if some ham fisted ape has totally destroyed the 3/8 drive hole in it all one has to do is get a big socket on the red part and unscrew the SOB so you can work on it on the bench while the transmission drains. If some idiot, and I don't want to disparage the good idiots out there, decides to attack that green plug with a drill to get the plug out someone should take that drill and do a lobotomy on him.

  4. #4Nige2019-11-21 07:23

    I'd agree with what KSH said above. If someone couldn't get the green plug out and they drilled it too deep, thus releasing all the guts of the grey part to fly up inside the housing, then as a minimum the labour cost of replacement should not be on the customer. An argument could also be put forward that the customer shouldn't have to pay the cost of the replacement 106-8186 Valve either. The 106-8187 Plug maybe, but not the valve because they ***ked that, not you........

  5. #5Tinkerer2019-11-21 08:36

    Welcome to HEF K ! I am curious as to what kind of repair shop this disaster happened in. Also what are they trying to charge you for the damage they made ? I suggest you print out this webpage and shove it in the idiots face.

  6. #6kshansen2019-11-21 09:41

    Might want to make to copies and shove the other one......................

  7. #7KKaralus2019-12-03 11:22

    Thank you all. This was my take but I am far from being an expert. Appreciate your feedback.