See attached picture. I’m getting a code for the cooling fan signal extremely low or not present. I’m being told to replace the fan speed sensor. All the wiring looks good. John Deere apparently upgraded the sensor with a new harness and I’ve got one to put on do you think that will fix the problem? Also, I’m getting VGT turbo actuator codes. Maybe a manifold code? I’ve removed the turbo and the turbo seems good and actuator seems to travel fine when pushed up it goes back down with ease. I’m stuck on this one and the parts aren’t cheap so don’t won’t to just throw stuff at it. Someone said John Deere possibly upgraded the exhaust manifold on a PIP? Is this needed?? Please let me know what the attached codes in the photo are and what you would do?
Please post the machine's serial number.
210G serial number - 1FF210GXLEE522425
Yep. But first, check the pins in the fan speed connector. Some have had the pins pushed out when the connectors are snapped together due to the pins not being seated in the connector. It may feel smooth through the travel, but it could still be over traveling, or under traveling, causing the mismatch code and the exhaust pressure code. If you had the exhaust pressure code and no turbo mismatch code, then I would have suggested looking real hard at the EGR loop, especially the EGR cooler, for plugging.
I’ll check the pins on the fan speed plug and let you know. So I’m hearing change the actuator? Would a John Deere technician have to perform an relearn on the system? Maybe a software upgrade?
Has the codes been cleared and what you pictured is what came back? If not, clear them. Run it to see what returns. Nope. Changing the turbo/actuator assembly. But before I would consider doing that, I would want to be sure that code is always popping back up after clearing. If you haven't cleared them, how do we know that it is not a one-off code? Certainly don't want to replace an expensive turbo if the code only happened once. Yep. And there is an updated software available for your ECU. The exhaust pressure code could be related to the turbo code, or could be an EGR issue, or due to an exhaust leak. All the exhaust studs present and accounted for? No blown out gaskets.
Yes sir I cleared the codes and these came back on. That’s before i removed the turbo. The turbo is currently off the machine so i can’t crank it. Also, while be turbo has been removed i changed the fan speed sensor and boom lift sensor. Haven’t been able to crank to test if those have fixed the issue. Once I get the turbo on I’ll let you know. Thanks
Gotcha! I did clear the codes before pulling the turbo and it was coming back.
All steel gaskets in place with no apparent leak. Unfortunately when i took the turbo off the bolts were screwed into manifold and broke off. I’m going to drill them out and put studs for ease of removal next time.
I replaced the actuator turbo assembly, fan speed sensor and boom lift sensor. Technician is coming out to update software. No more codes so that is great! Thanks for the help. Also, can I get into the factory setting holding 9 and pushing button to make the machine delay shutdown for 2 minutes once I turn the key off to keep the turbo from a hard shutdown or do I need to sit and wait? Also, I’m getting a 1209.07 only on start up if I wait for an extended time when I turn the key on before cranking. If I turn the key off and crank at a reasonable time the code doesn’t show. Thoughts? Also, can I mix any other coolant with cool guard II or should I stay with the same?
No. That is unusual. That code is usually when running and is almost always caused by a plugged EGR loop (cooler specifically). Check your messages. Stay with the same. I am not a big fan of mixing different brand coolants due to the additive packages and the potential for additive conflict. Either top off with the same or completely flush and replace with whatever you want to use (so long as it has additives for piston liners).
Thanks I’ll check the sensor on the EGR system and go from there! Appreciate it!