Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ECU Questions

Junk333e · 2022-10-12 16:48

Hello all! Have a question about what issues you may have if the ECU goes bad? My machine just quit on me and then won't start again. Cleared the codes to see what codes it would throw and getting no codes... Thanks for any information in advance !

Replies12
  1. #1Junk333e2022-10-12 20:50

    Also... do you have to have tech change info for the ecu to the machine to operate?

  2. #2mg23612022-10-13 05:10

    Yanmar ECU will come blank and need to be programmed. But why spend $1000 to replace it without more thorough testing?

  3. #3Vetech632022-10-13 07:46

    In my experience ECU's rarely go "bad". More times than none something has happened, and it is preventing your engine from starting.

  4. #4illy2022-10-13 08:35

    I've been a service tech working on electric systems on construction machinery and forklift trucks for twenty years. I don't remember replacing more then a few ECU's on construction machinery. That's the last thing that will go bad. They are very well protected. A little different is on the electric forklift trucks because ECU's there run electric motors so there is a lot of current passing and wearing them down. Without any symptoms, if you have no codes, I would suggest that the ECU is in condition which it considers normal (waiting for some kind of "enable" input or so). There also could be power supply missing actually not turning the ECU on. Lastly, I've noticed that even disconnecting sensors doesn't always throw a code. Even on a common rail system.

  5. #5mekanik2022-10-13 09:19

    I have been working on trucks mostly and equipment since ECU's came out. In the early years there were some problems with ECU's failing but that is largely a thing of the past. It does happen still but very rarely. Most of the problems I see nowadays is usually connection problems from corrosion or broken wires. I always advise people to start at the batteries checking connections at the starter and grounds as well. The ECU needs a good power supply in order to self diagnose. Then inspect for worn or damaged harnesses and connectors. If your engine quit and there are no electronic faults or warnings from the display this could well be a mechanical problem.

  6. #6Nige2022-10-13 13:39

    It might be useful to know exactly what make/model "my machine" is..........

  7. #7Vetech632022-10-13 14:25

    I'm assuming its a 333E lol

  8. #8Nige2022-10-13 15:28

    So am I, but you know what "assume" does don't you..? On a more serious note I would agree with others who have posted to the effect that ECMs don't fail very often these days

  9. #9Coaldust2022-10-13 17:38

    Nige is the voice of reason. Hold on, Fellas, what exactly are we working on? That’s what I appreciates about you.

  10. #10Nige2022-10-14 04:47

    So why is it posted in the Track Loaders section instead of the Compact Equipment CTL/MTL section where it really belongs.? You can see the recipe for confusion here I hope.?

  11. #11mg23612022-10-14 05:04

    Most likely from this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums Edit: You obviously saw that.....

  12. #12Vetech632022-10-14 08:05

    SO............another thread, on the same machine, in a different section, on another suspected issue, ........by the same poster? LOL no wonder I'm behind the 8-ball!