Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EGR cooler cleaning

Tiny ยท 2020-11-08 09:17

1st has anyone done this ? MBE 900 mercedes . In a school bus and has made me look like a idiot . Put a turbo on it when the low air flow code came on . Just like I had with the others . No help . big boss was upset . so after a bit i pull the tube off the exit side of the cooler and it looks bad . Due to the way the cooler fits I cant see the front side until it is removed but i suspect its plugged . I don't want to order a 1,800 buck cooler atm unless I can prove it's the actual cause . so if i can clean this one up and get just 30 days out of it that will keep the bosses teeth out of my backside .

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632020-11-08 10:17

    I cant say on that particular engine. I have been finding that parts for EGR's are scarce so you may want to make sure you can even get them. The last Komatsu I did I had to buy a new EGR assembly because there were no separate parts available,

  2. #2Old Doug2020-11-08 10:42

    I fill your pain do i spend money or time on a gamble ? If i can from now on its going some were else they can take the heat for money spent gambling but some times thats they only way to fix a problem.

  3. #3Coaldust2020-11-08 21:46

    You can send them out for cleaning with fair success. I've had luck soaking them in a 50/50 simple green and water solution for a day or two. Not perfect, but enough to get the rig back on the road.

  4. #4lantraxco2020-11-09 00:20

    Purple Power. Then flush with clean water. Believe it or not. YMMV