Hello everyone! I have a question about the electric/hydraulic brake system on my 20,000 lbs gvw gooseneck trailer.The trailers break away system utilizes a 12 volt 5amp/hour battery. Along with the regular wire connector that plugs into the recepticle on the truck, there is another connector that contains one wire. This wire runs to the little battery's positive terminal. I bought this trailer used and my truck didn't have the extra recepticle. My question is, can I run a wire from my truck battery's positive terminal to this trailer battery's positive terminal to charge it without any problems? Will the big battery hooked to the little battery blow something up? The little battery runs the trailers master cylinder and will go dead quickly if I don't have a way to charge it while I am going down the road. The trailers brake master cylinder is a Dexter. I hope I didn't confuse anyone... Thanks, Jim
If you have a seven prong trailer connector, then the red or black should be a fused hot wire directly from the battery of the tow vehicle. You could hook the break away battery on the trailer to one of these wires. Check out the link below http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
first off the breakaway battery should not be supplying the power to run your elec/hyd unit. it should have its own 12v power source thru the truck plug. once you correct this if you have a breakaway kit with a built in charger you can power your charge wire from the same 12v supply or you can hook it to your tail lights so it will charge when your tail lights are on. works only if you pull at night alot . be glad to help if you have any more questions... 22 years of selling and repairing trailers i can help with just about anything,, adios,, CB
I never liked those 5 amp hour batteries. You might consider a 24 series marine battery for your breakaway protection. The little bats seem to go dead easy and have a short life span. Not sure what your regulations are but we need to have our brakes apply fully for 15 mins when the nice officer pulls the breakaway pin.
10-4