Have this problem on my New Holland LX485 all of a sudden. Only ways to save the battery is to pull the fuse for the electronics or the negative battery cable. Anyone out threre have a similar problem or a possible solution?
Id be curious as to what else is run off the fuse for electronics. Do you have a wiring diagram. If electronics has its own fuse, and is not shared with any other circuit, then your problem would be in the board, or any related components, stuck relay, short to ground. If there are other circuits tied to it, then that would be a place to look at, and eliminate first, but you really need a diagram to know what up.
Check the ignition switch?
maybe mice have chewed on wires in the instrument panel, causing a short. pull the panel and look for bare wires; wrap electrical tape in any bare spots.
So what was normal for starting to use the skidsteer was when I first sit on the seat the display lighted for about 10 seconds then I'd here a click and just the seat belt light and parking brake light would be on even though the key was off. Once seat belt was connected I could start it and those lights would go off. I disconnected the harness to the seat and belt safety switches and still have the problem. I have a diagram but don't see a delay relay in the electronic circuit but will look closer. Thanks for your input.
Disconnect the small wires on the alternator and see if it goes away. Not the red, straight to battery wire, just the excite and charge wires.
Just went to shop and disconnected wires from the alternator excite resistor and instument cluster works as it did previously. Does mean the resistor is bad or do I have a bigger problem? Thanks, you were right on.
Did you look at the relays in the engine compartment ? If one is sticking will do weird stuff.
Either the resistor or the voltage regulator. A pic of the alternator would help me guess better, maybe somebody else knows for sure.
This is the type I have. 50 ohm resistor has no continuity. As stated earlier I unplugged the 2 wire connector from the upper left connection in pic and problem went away. Those wires are from the resistor.
So you fixed it with a new resistor? or what's going on?
Have not located a resistor replacement yet as apparently it is not a standard "off the shelf" resistor to be gotten from an electronics supply house. Should fix problem as the old one would not pass any current.
Problem solved! " Tool_King" was right, the Accessories relay apparently has a timed response to open a few seconds after it receives power and thus turning off the full electronic display. Thanks to all who responded.
Part number, location, pictures?
New Holland part # 86529089.
that looks like a standard automotive relay, with the normally closed contact, many won't have the normally closed contact but will fit, maybe not work.