Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Eljay 45″ rollercone question

ol'stonebreaker ยท 2016-06-20 16:43

Hi, everyone. Been away for awhile. A local contractor has one of these and no manual for it. No one there knows how to adjust it and he wants me to teach them how. I've slept quite a bit(15 yrs) since I've been around them, LOL!!, and can't remember the clamp jack pressure. I'd be appreciative if someone could tell me. TIA, Mike

Replies9
  1. #1kshansen2016-06-20 19:41

    Hate to say I did go to a class on the ElJays but that was probably 35-40 years ago! So my memory is even worse than yours. I did find this link that is more or less a sales brochure but it does mention the shim adjustment system. Maybe something there will refresh your memory? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjfuYSx4rfNAhWFPz4KHTwfAZUQFggwMAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Finter-stroy.ru%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F01%2FElJay-Rollercone-Classic01.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHViLFvuhEPftFARYtr5FVgu43JMg&sig2=RZpqj5rypElLyyXnbFvSGw A little out take: Quick Adjustment System Hydraulic/shim adjustment makes changing the discharge opening fast and easy. Adjustment is vertical using hydraulic rams, therefore bowl rotation is not necessary. This design requires less headroom, less weight and eliminates the problem of threads jamming with rock dust. Exact setting is maintained by shim stacks of equal height. Shims vary in thickness and are color-coded and numbered for quick recognition. The shims have offset slots for easy installation and are interlocking. To tighten the settings, release the clamp ring and raise the bonnet. Remove shims from the lower stack to establish the new setting. Removed shims are stored in the upper stack. The bonnet is then lowered and the clamp ring tightened hydraulically. Tensioning of clamp bolts is also done hydraulically.

  2. #2bdiwearparts2016-06-20 19:49

    I have Eljay Operation & Maintenance Instructions. If you want it, please send me a email at [email protected]

  3. #3ol'stonebreaker2016-06-20 21:46

    Ks, thanks for the link, I'd already read thru it and nothing rattled my failing memory banks, LOL!! Don, I'll get that E-mail to you pronto. Much appreciated. Will it be a PDF? Damn, I love these forums!! If you need info about something you can generally get it from a reliable source. Mike

  4. #4bdiwearparts2016-06-21 00:32

    It is PDF. If I need something, I will let you now. Thanks.

  5. #5ol'stonebreaker2016-06-21 09:40

    I received it and burned it to CD for him. He can print whatever is needed for field use. I'll put in a plug for your company also. again, Thanks, Mike

  6. #6ol'stonebreaker2016-06-21 21:12

    Now the end of this story. I told the owner he'd need to buy a double action elec porta power pump. I took the CD out today and the owner wasn't there so I asked his mech about the pump. He said the boss said "no, he wasn't going to pay $1200 for the pump". He'd rather pay a guy to drive from 60 miles away to adjust the cone for $300 each time. I said "fine, I'm retired and wasn't looking for work. I just figured I could teach you guys how and save some money. I told the mech there's a complete operating and repair manual for the cone on that CD. Mike

  7. #7kshansen2016-06-22 12:05

    Not sure what kind of stone the guy is crushing but four adjustments and the pump is paid for and that is not counting the down time waiting for the guy to drive the 60 miles! Sounds like the outfit I worked for, they decided it was time to get set up with a laptop with Cat ET on it. Thing was they wanted to have one for the whole state! If you wanted to calibrate a sensor or just troubleshoot an intermittent problem while the fault was active you might have to make three or four calls to find out where it was and then drive an hour or two to get it. Heaven forbid that two mechanics might need it the same day!

  8. #8ol'stonebreaker2016-06-22 22:18

    It's his $$ so can spend it however he wants. Not trying to dislocate my shoulder, but I figured w/ 32 yrs of making big ones into little ones I could show them a few maintenance and production tricks I've learned the hard way and from guys long dead. I won't beg someone to let me teach them. Mike

  9. #9kshansen2016-06-23 06:49

    As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink it!"