Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Embarrassing question,

Uncledeeds72 ยท 2023-04-16 22:31

Hello, my kumatsu d 41s3 i was doing all the greasing an replacing grease bungs,wanted, to do oil an filters before this summer road/driveway repairs an never doing this before on this machine, (i have the service books too) but can't seem to find certain things,one being how to check the trans fluid properly. The longggggg tube,red rubber top on the stick in the compartment door right next to the hydrolic fill an tank.i can't get a good reading! I check it with machine not running an fluid looks clean an on full mark, BUT only on one side of the stick lol.other side says almost empty.should machine be warm? Or running mayb? Also what do people here recommend for oil? I know the machine was always used prior to me with mystic jt8 sae 30 motor oil.im very nervous an cautious.i do not want to do something wrong or add wrong stuff.i do have the books as I said for recommended viscositys an stuff,but I want to make sure im adding the correct stuff in the correct spot,I find no diagrams for fluid points.again I'm sorry for probably stupid questions. Thank you all, Derek

Replies5
  1. #1James Sorochan2023-04-16 22:46

    I'm believe the transmission oil filler cap and dip stick is under the seat. At least on my D57S -1 it is. Transmission should take 30W oil. Looks like what you have there should work. Check with transmission warmed up in neutral. The tank in your picture should be for hydraulic oil. !0W will work. I could be wrong so maybe someone can confirm.

  2. #2Uncledeeds722023-04-19 19:23

    Thank you very much,hopefully more will know,I never looked under my seat,so that will be first thing I do.im thinking that stick is for tranny as well

  3. #3James Sorochan2023-04-19 23:19

    Here are the oil recommendations that Voodooburner had posted on this site for his machine.

  4. #4Voodooburner2023-04-23 16:30

    I run 30wt in my D41 s-3. The stick beside the hydraulic tank is the transmission, the hydraulic tank has a sight glass. The steering section dipstick is on the right rear above the bevel gear.

  5. #5ps66x42023-04-23 17:05

    Glad you asked, I too have a D41s3, I got it this winter. I'll be watching for any information I can find. I know I have to put new seals on the up/down and angle cylinders. Also have to take a link off the tracks to bring the idlers back. And some other stuff but that's the big stuff I know of.