Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Emissions driving me nuts

denalidigger ยท 2018-03-09 10:50

I know I'm gonna get blasted by some but These machines that regen or have def are driving me nuts! All my guys and myself love our new kobelco excavators but the def and regen is ridiculous. I know they can delete on farm equipment and trucks but is there anyone in or near Wisconsin who deletes heavy equipment??

Replies22
  1. #1cuttin edge2018-03-09 11:36

    All new machines have to have it now. Word here is within the next 5 years all machines on government jobs will have to have it, and it has to work. Basically, if you have old equipment, you won't be road building anymore. Kinda hard on the little guy

  2. #2denalidigger2018-03-09 11:39

    Yea im not buying old machines, I treat my guys right and have nice equipment. I see some places that delete it but curious if anyone has had any luck.

  3. #3cuttin edge2018-03-09 11:55

    I'm lead to believe that Def is better than the Regen. Our D4k has never had an issue neither has the 350 Kobelco. I see Volvo has shifted from Regen to Def. We have a western star with a Detroit and it will do a park Regen for 45 minutes. Non of the cummings with def have any problems. I see they bought a new 980, not sure what it has, and a new 470 Hitachi not sure of it either.

  4. #4denalidigger2018-03-09 12:25

    Def is better i believe also. Our machines seem to regen more in colder weather tho. It's fine if we catch it but if you dont work it hard enough it will lock you out and regen. If I have a pipe hooked up and lowering in ditch im not going to slam it in just to regen ya know. Only def problem we had was the injector went out after 1,000 hours..

  5. #5cuttin edge2018-03-09 14:55

    Our L45 loader never does a park Regen in the summer, but it is a regular occurrence in winter. Strong says it's from idling to warm up in the cold. If we go out to plow at 3 am, someone will start all the loaders at 2.

  6. #6Birken Vogt2018-03-09 15:15

    DEF and regen (DPF) are not mutually exclusive, some engines have one, some have the other and some have both. All of them have EGR and electronic injectors which are where the real problems lie.

  7. #7Canadian_digger2018-03-09 19:51

    No need to let something idle for an hour to warm up. Diesels need to work to warm up. I'm willing to bet the heater hardly blows any cold air even after an hour of idling.

  8. #8Canadian_digger2018-03-09 21:45

    Sorry meant blows Amy warm air

  9. #9cuttin edge2018-03-10 11:16

    We had issues in the past with filters blowing on New Holland loaders so the management wants at least half an hour. There was an incident involving a Brook, and a big fine.

  10. #10Plebeian2018-03-11 01:23

    For the (next) stage V engines - engine makers looking to do without EGR - Cummins, Isuzu What make of engine is in the Kobelco - they use a few different makes. https://cumminsengines.com/cummins-reveals-egrfree-new-engine-lineup for 2019?

  11. #11walkerv2018-03-11 08:20

    Cummins have defi atly had there share of emmisio s problems , but they have way less problems on average then most othdr engines, not surprised they figured out how to do away with egr and make the aft module smaller and work more efficiently

  12. #12John C.2018-03-11 14:22

    That will be interesting to see. I wonder if they will bring and sell those engines in the US. It's cinch that they won't be required here with the current administration in power. If the engines actually work as advertised though I think they will sell depending on the initial costs.

  13. #13denalidigger2020-01-30 11:18

    little under a year and more repairs to the emissions... Last year it was def sensors and costs me $5000 now this year the muffler took a ****. Just the muffler costs $3,500.. Only 3000 hours on the machine! So basically now everytime it gets cold it's costing me $5k

  14. #14TDI guy2020-01-30 23:17

    Why not delete it? It's an off-road application, and that's not monitored neither is there any written laws against deleting OFF road equipment.

  15. #15denalidigger2020-01-31 08:19

    If I could find someone to delete it I would. The biggest thing is the ecm tune. Nobody does them. And it's like 37k fine if caught in the usa.

  16. #16TDI guy2020-01-31 08:40

    Are you talking about that Kobelco? Does it have a Cummins? The Cummins are more expensive to delete, but if I had pics of the ECU, I can run it by my tuning guys. I'm pretty sure it can be done. That 37k fine is not applicable to off road use. I've never heard of fines being given except for on road vehicles. That's why everybody that does it, makes you sign a waiver that declares it for off road use only.

  17. #17denalidigger2020-01-31 08:45

    Yes the kobelco. It has a Hino engine.

  18. #18Bls repair2020-01-31 18:01

    Are dealers required to notify authorities if they find emissions bypassed?

  19. #19Nige2020-02-01 03:55

    Not AFAIK, but IMHO the likelihood is that any dealer for the brand in question would not want to touch the machine with a 10ft pole for fear of guilt by association.

  20. #20John C.2020-02-01 10:48

    When I was appraising for the Cat dealer, anything out of stock on an emissions system would kill any kind of deal that involved trading the asset in.

  21. #21Bls repair2020-02-01 13:05

    Do you think by not disclosing changes to emissions it could cause legal problems for seller down the road?

  22. #22John C.2020-02-01 19:29

    Not disclosing a material fact to deliberately take advantage (cheat) of someone is the definition of fraud. Knowingly operating a diesel engine that does not comply to federal law is a violation in itself. Still with all that said, the burden of proof would lay with the person who got caught. Let the buyer beware.