Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Enclosing cab

thebig450es ยท 2009-10-29 10:41

I have an pc50 with just a canopy, could i just attach some plexi glass to keep the wind out with winter comming. any down sides to this?

Replies15
  1. #1mxridernrth2009-10-29 13:55

    I have the same dilemna. Last year I was going to bring my machine to a marine awning guy and have him make up some panels that could be snapped onto the canopy bars. At least with those I can role them up or remove them quite quickly as they are held on with snaps. I've gotta do something soon as the rains have arrived big time.

  2. #2kthompson2009-10-29 15:18

    This is for farm tractors: http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricu...heater-cab-large-universal-side-entry-0298954 Did a search for excavators and boy are there a lot of options. did not find any soft cabs. Cold weather here really is little issue but have wondered the same on mine. The issues I have thought off (real or not, not sure). Drilling or welding on roll bar could weaken it. Plexiglass or Lexan would not wear as well as glass. Even if you did not end up with a door but front, rear and right side it would prevent air blowing freely through. Velcro might be better option than snaps depending on what you are using as dirt or rust would not be the same issue. For those in cold climate you probably could use an add on type water heater also.

  3. #3mxridernrth2009-10-29 15:41

    I'd feel like the Pope in that thing

  4. #4heavylift2009-10-29 18:28

    you may have to use lexan.... safety issue .... another option is to go to a fabric store ... alone with hard hat buy some heavy duty clear vinyl.... a grommet kit.... lacing

  5. #5Red Bank2009-10-29 22:57

    Could you use a slip on golf cart enclosure? My Dad has one on his golf cart that slips down over the roof and the sides will roll back to allow access. As far as a heater you could buy a 12 volt heater and run it off of the cigarette lighter-if it has one.

  6. #6thebig450es2009-10-29 23:03

    yeah i was thinking i could just using the one off the golf cart, but it seems the plexi would hold up better

  7. #7xterrahawk2009-10-30 11:19

    u can always go to ur local home depot get sum pexiglass go to ur local junk yard and get a little windshield wiper and baam your good to go lol

  8. #8xterrahawk2009-10-30 11:27

    i also found this website maybe u wanna contact them and see some prices not sure http://www.customcanvas.com/index.php?section=cab

  9. #9strott2009-10-30 15:50

    The vinyl isn't very good for looking through so if you work in confined spaces or around obstacles/people then it may not be suitable.

  10. #10joispoi2009-11-01 03:22

    You could find a used cab for it, but that's going to be pricey. Plexiglass is going to be the cheapest route....but the problem with plexiglass is that it looks like plexi glass. Even if you only install 2 panels, you'll appreciate it. I'd skip any of those shower curtain aftermarket cab kits. The money spent on those would be better spent on good clothing....(heavy duty insulated work suit or snow mobile suit).

  11. #11captain charlie2009-11-10 15:37

    My Hitachi canopy looks simlair to yours, I am going to remove the top and have 3/4 angle welded on the edge of the bottom side. i figure on putting snaps on the angle and going to a canvas shop to make up some panels. i really need to plumb a heater into the 3 cyl. isuzu though.

  12. #12xterrahawk2009-11-14 19:57

    http://www.cabdepot.com/ found this site i think they are a good source i found them on compact equipment magazine worth taking a look at it and maybe get some quotes.

  13. #13Komatsu 1502009-11-15 12:52

    Personally I don't think drilling small holes or welding tabs on a roll cage would change the strength in any meaningful way but I think it is completely illegal. Some of the dealer guys here would know for sure.

  14. #14AtlasRob2009-11-15 15:14

    Buy yourself a very good quality 2 piece rainsuit. ( this from a fully cabbed op :Banghead ) Seriously, whatever you do you are going to have issues with either visibility or draught or both. Get yourself kitted out like you are going all night fishing down by the lake and keep digging. I've spent a few night shifts on lane rentals running no cabbed dumpers in the pouring rain, not fun but a darn sight better with the proper gear on then I found a digger key and haven't looked back.

  15. #15Colorado Digger2009-11-15 15:58

    take a piece of 4"or 6"solid ads run in from in front of you're radiator to wherever to can close enough to blow warm air on you.wrap a piece of reininforced visquine from the motor side, around the back and wire it to the rops. if you have an outlet get a 12 or 24 v. electric blanket. that is how i do it in my dozer. no visquine though. good luck