Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine change CAT 262

DiamondLTruckin ยท 2010-03-24 00:41

I just aquired a CAT 262 with a blown motor. Anybody have a rough estimate of what the a motor new or used goes for. Also any other tips to make the job go a bit easier? Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1KSSS2010-03-24 01:24

    Someone on here blew the motor in their 236 and it was 10K for a crate motor. Seems like a lot of guys are blowing motors in their CAT skid steers.

  2. #2DiamondLTruckin2010-03-24 14:30

    this one was rented out over the winter for snow removal... knowing who was running it not much mercy was spared.

  3. #3xcmark2010-03-24 17:52

    I would expect $2500 labor max , and maybe 4~5K if you find a used running motor .

  4. #4DiamondLTruckin2010-03-24 18:05

    I'm planning on swapping the motor in myself. Shouldn't be too hard at least there's no custom work. I'll save that for my attatchments

  5. #53thirteen2010-03-24 18:37

    Shouldn't have much trouble doing a swap yourself. Make sure you support the pumps, it will make life easier putting the engine back in. I can't quote you an engine price though... What about rebuilding it?

  6. #6DiamondLTruckin2010-03-24 18:41

    Haven't actually gotten it to our shop yet. The outfit I'm getting it from wants to put the run flat wheel / tires onto the new skid steer that they are getting. I spoke to a CAT rep and he said that they don't make a complete 'rebuild kit' but some parts are available. I've heard previousley that little CAT motors like those are pretty much throw away engines anyways.

  7. #73thirteen2010-03-24 18:56

    True, most guys toss them, I just didn't know what your budget was so I suggested it. FWIW Take your bumper off and that will make the job easier. Some guys take off the coolers but it can be done with them in you just need to sneek your goose neck engine hoist in there. As far as that engine goes, I can find a rebuilt with warranty up here for $6500.00 That's a 3034 Perkins if I am not mistaken......

  8. #8DiamondLTruckin2010-03-25 18:44

    If they're rebuildable then I have got more time than money that's for sure! CAT just seemed to indicate that they didn't carry many parts. It's either a Perkins or Mitsubishi I belive.

  9. #9dieseldog5.92019-01-03 12:10

    Digging up an old thread here, which direction did you go rebuild the old engine, or repower?