Cat 426b w/ perkins 3054T. Was using the machine today and turned off (key into off position but still in) and went inside. Heard the starter cranking (good thing I was lazy and drove right up the driveway). Went out and key was off starter just cranking away. I took key out still turning over. I put key in and started machine which as always started right up. Turned off took key out and went inside. 20 minutes later it did it again. ignition switch or starter solenoid? I would guess it could be either but do not know how to test. thanks
get a test light and hook it up to a good ground or the negative on the battery and then see if you have current on the far side of the solenoid and check to see if when you operate the ignition of the wires on the back are receiving power at the right times, also look and see if wires are touching on the back side of the ignition. did any fuses pop?
I have seen this in a movie called "Maximum Overdrive". Keep the 30-06 ready! No idea, but Goodluck.
It's a challenge without the machine or a wiring diagram but have a look under the dash to make sure the wiring looks original(not butchered), any anti theft equip??? Then look for a starter relay, if it has one change it. Later Bob
running too good Tested solenoid and it has power full time one terminal and only on turning key to start on the other terminal. Checked wiring all looks good. Key switch shows a little wear (loose in the housing) but no sign of short. Tested terminals on back of switch all seem ok. $37 for new key switch - $160 for aftermarket starter, may end up replacing both as I cannot leave the machine battery connected with the possibility it will start cranking over on its own. No blown fuses. Anyone know what a sonalert (size of fifty cent piece round circuit card with only a pos and neg wire running off it) it is in back of dash. That had worked out of its housing and had grounded on a bolt but I do not think it has anything to do with starter issue.
I don't think it's the starter Matt. That sonalert sounds Aftermarket,Theft Protection to me. Has the key switch got screw terminals or a 6 conductor push on connector? screw on is simple mechanical and not likely to mess you up. The newer 6 conductor push on switch is solid state, can burn out easy or do other thing to make us think the machine is possesed. You can't even test it with a continuity tester. I think you should correct problem with that sonalert and babysit machine for an hour or two. On see where it's connected and how to remove it and throw it over your shoulder and under the track of your D6. Later Bob
Bob - it has the screw on terminals on the back. My thought process on this is that the key switch controls the circuit in the solenoid on the starter, so it has to be a malfunction in the key switch or solenoid on the starter. Anyone have one of the key switches fail internally where they can act up like this?
I may be a little off subject here but I installed a battery cutoff switch on the negative cable in my Deere 310D. I have seen a couple older backhoes for sale that had been burnt from fire that started in the cab. I turn it off when I leave it unattended. That won't only prevent fire but also prevent unattended starting or cranking. My switch is above the brake pedals under the dash so its easy to access any time I jump in.
Matt, You take that switch out or disconnect the start and run wires. Leave the power connected and use a test light to see if the switch works right. Then leave the start wire off the switch and tape it's end, put the run wire back on the switch. If the engine cranks on it's own with the start wire off it's not the switch. If you have corrected the sonalert that may have corrected the problem. Later Bob
Does the Sonalert look like this ? http://compare.ebay.com/like/180422069915?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
tinkerer, it does look similiar to that. It has not repeated its random starter cranking over but I have not fixed. I do intend on installing a battery disconnect to thanks for the heads up.
Perkins. its hapened to my generator set. 2000 series.just like an old problem. the problem just like yours. and someday when the engine is operate, the motor starter is starting by it self. but we have to do some modification with the wiring. add second switch to positif on relay starter. and add breaker to neg from batteray to ground engine. it solved now on my engine.